Most of us, if not our children have suffered at the hands of acne. Trying everything under the sun before taking that dreaded trip to the doctors office. Some of us have seen a dermatologist and have been prescribed creams or antibiotics. For those of us that have been prescribed medication they come with a massive list of side effects and commonly asked questions regarding the product and how it could affect you and your acne. But did you know that these medications are not made for long term use, or may not be in accordance with guidelines. Find out the facts not given to you regarding your acne medication, it could leave you wanting more questions or making another visit to your dermatologist.
- 1Among U.K. general practitioners, acne treatment is often not in accordance with current guidelines, according to a study published in the December issue of the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology.
- 2John S. Barbieri, M.D., from the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine in Philadelphia, and colleagues examined the duration of oral tetracycline therapy and use of topical retinoids in a retrospective cohort study.
- 3The researchers found that the mean therapy duration was 175.1 days. Overall, 62 percent of antibiotic courses were not associated with a topical retinoid, and 29 percent of antibiotic courses exceeded a six-month duration.
The researchers found that the mean therapy duration was 175.1 days. Overall, 62 percent of antibiotic courses were not associated with a topical retinoid, and 29 percent of antibiotic courses exceeded a six-month duration. Approximately 3.3 million antibiotic days per year could be avoided if all regions were to achieve uses similar to the region with the shortest mean duration of therapy.
Read the full article at: https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=http://www.doctorslounge.com/index.php/news/pb/68090&ct=ga&cd=CAIyGjgzYTlkMzY3NDRmNjczNDk6Y29tOmVuOlVT&usg=AFQjCNH46uhvMlo6CbpgFCpxC5dPgMufOQ
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- What the Experts Say Are the Best Supplements for Your Brain - July 23, 2018
- 5 Healthy Seeds You Should Add to Your Diet Today - July 23, 2018
- Study Affirms What Many Know: Antidepressants May Lead to Weight Gain - July 21, 2018