According to Delray Beach,FL, dermatologist Janet Allenby, MD,acne on the scalp is an inflammatory reaction around the hair and sebum follicles and can be caused by many things, but most frequently, it is hormonal and excessive sebum (oil) production that are the biggest influences. The scalp can have acne outbreaks just like the face does, but it is more common and associated with more severe types of acne. Acne blemish might be due to excess oil or product on your scalp that can accumulate and irritate the scalp. If the cause of the scalp acne is a buildup of products, dead skin cells or oil that clogs hair follicles, you can benefit from washing your hair with a clarifying shampoo, like Moroccanoil clarifying shampoo ($26),once a week. The perceived blemish could also be a scaly patch as a result of dandruff or eczema. Scaly patches on the scalp are more often seborrhea, aka dandruff, which is also an inflammatory problem. This is best treated by using anti-dandruff shampoos and conditioners. Phyto Phytheol Oily Hair Purifying Scalp Exfoliating Shampoo ($26), which strips the bad stuff out of your hair while keeping the good oils intact so your hair looks shiny and clean. If the scaly area doesn’t go away, it should not be ignored because it could be related to medical condition, even certain cancers, that may need to be addressed by a medical professional.
- 1Acne outbreaks on the scalp are possible, but are less common and usually associated with severe acne
- 2Other possible causes for scalp blemishes are irritation from product build up, dandruff, or eczema
- 3You should consult a dermatologist if scaly patches do not resolve with treatment since they may indicate a more serious problem.
Should you have actual scalp acne, the fastest treatment is an injection of cortisone, which your dermatologist can administer.
Read the full article at: https://www.newbeauty.com/blog/dailybeauty/9466-what-it-means-when-you-get-breakouts-on-your-scalp/
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- Car Seat Safety / Cold / Controversy - February 13, 2019
- US Cancer Death Rate Hits Milestone: 25 Years of Decline - February 11, 2019
- Foods That Fight Constipation - February 6, 2019