Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, or PCOS, leads to a hormonal imbalance that affects up to 10% of women of reproductive age, and is diagnosed as early as the teenage years. Because of the associated hormonal imbalance, PCOS can have a number of cosmetic symptoms that can severely affect the self-esteem of those with the condition, especially young girls. In addition to excessive weight gain, PCOS can cause skin disorders like acne vulgaris, excessive body and facial hair, male-pattern baldness, and acanthosis nigrans. These skin and hair conditions can be treated with medication specific to each, such as hormonal birth control for acne vulgaris, but some of the conditions such as hair loss can be harder to treat with medication. Lifestyle changes like a healthy diet and exercise are often necessary to address these symptoms as well.
- 1Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS), a syndrome which causes hormonal imbalances, affects up to 30% of young women.
- 2PCOS can lead to distressing skin conditions like acne, excessive facial and body hair, and more, which can be detrimental to the self-esteem of those affected.
- 3While some of these cosmetic conditions can be treated with medication, others have no medical treatment that works, and a healthy diet and exercise regimen can sometimes be necessary to properly treat these conditions.
Around five to 10 per cent of women of the reproductive age are affected by PCOS. The typical symptom would include oily, thick skin, with a tendency to put on weight.
Read the full article at: https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style-landing/health-fitness/health-news/PCOS-and-skin-disorders/articleshow/53751626.cms&ct=ga&cd=CAIyGjgzYTlkMzY3NDRmNjczNDk6Y29tOmVuOlVT&usg=AFQjCNFIBdGeWa-AjQBJg2k1do6fS-xjFg
[adbutler zone_id="253407"] Take the PCOS Quiz for a Special Offer!!
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- Four Easy To Adopt Habits That Help You Shed Excess Weight - May 27, 2020
- How To Deal With Anxiety And Stress During These Difficult COVID-19 Times? - May 27, 2020
- How Probiotics Can Assist With Immunity - May 26, 2020