LED (light emitting diode) refers to the specific type of bulb and the source of this visible light. “It’s been shown that the light emitted can affect the biology of the skin in a positive way, reducing inflammation and helping with conditions like acne, rosacea, and eczema. Other benefits: There are no side effects, no downtime, and this kind of treatment can easily be done in the privacy of your own bathroom (at-home LED devices are becoming more and more popular and are typically less costly; at the dermatologist, treatments costs around $500, says Frank ). While he adds that these won’t replace stronger, in-office light therapies, they are a good supplement. “You go to the dentist for a professional cleaning, but still have to brush and floss at home to maintain those results. On the most extreme end of the spectrum are lasers or what’s known as ‘coherent light’, which can be used to address specific skin conditions, Dr. Frank explains. Based on the wavelength, lasers can treat everything from broken blood vessels to dark spots to irregular texture, he says. And while laser treatments can be pricey (be ready to shell out anywhere between $600 and $1250 per treatment, depending on the type of laser and where you live) the major pro is that they can target these exact issues without damaging the rest of the skin.
- 1While rays from the sun are known to be carcinogenic, the therapeutic forms of light are not, and are used to treat a variety of skin conditions.
- 2Based on the wavelength, lasers can treat everything from broken blood vessels to dark spots to irregular texture.
- 3LED can affect the biology of the skin in a positive way, reducing inflammation and helping with conditions like acne, rosacea, and eczema.
A type of LED treatment, colored light therapies deliver a specific wavelength of light that corresponds to a color which has a direct effect on skin. Most popular are red, which is said to stimulate collagen production, and blue, which kills acne-causing bacteria.
Read the full article at: https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=http://www.shape.com/lifestyle/beauty-style/laser-and-light-treatments-skin-care&ct=ga&cd=CAIyGjgzYTlkMzY3NDRmNjczNDk6Y29tOmVuOlVT&usg=AFQjCNE40586D2UH29OdPkm3DwWPvWWJOA
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- Your Gut Affects More Than Just Digestion:Understanding Gut Health - November 14, 2019
- The Many Causes of Hip Pain - November 13, 2019
- Clever Uses for Hydrogen Peroxide - November 11, 2019