When a child or adult is suffering from Attention Deficit Disorder, they will need to learn to adapt their lives and circumstances to be able to deal with this condition on a daily basis. Many will suffer from poor organizational skills, periods of hyperactivity as well as problems concentrating on tasks. In order to deal with these troublesome symptoms each day, sufferers will need to come up with items to help attention deficit disorder.
Each person will be unique in the symptoms they struggle with, and therefore the coping tools that will work for one person may not necessarily work for the next. It will be up to the individual and their families to figure out exactly what works best for them.
Some examples of every day coping tools that have worked for many people include:
- Hanging wall calendar with pockets. These are great to be able to mark down exactly what needs to be done each day as well as to be able to put things like tickets, bills and other items that may be needed on that particular day.
- White board calendars. These are also very effective because they can be tailored exactly for each individual. Lists can be added and they can be made daily or for a period of days at a time.
- Alarm clocks or timers. These will serve as reminders of a task that needs to be done. They can also work to structure time blocks of work that will be easier to tackle in shorter periods.
- Headphones or ear plugs. If there are many distractions around the person, these will help to keep the outside distractions to a minimum, allowing them to focus better on the task at hand.
- Tape recorder. A small tape recorder can be very useful for being able to instantly record thoughts and reminders that can help the person to recall later.
- Special computer software. Make use of specialized computer software that can help with organization, as well as assist with other tasks like writing, grammar checking, and calculating.
There are many things that can be used to assist with everyday tasks. It is important to discover what will work the best for each person, focusing on areas that they have the most difficulty with.
Whether it is a child or an adult, there will be certain items to help attention deficit disorder in their own personal lives. Thankfully, there are more options available now for sufferers to be able to assist them in keeping their lives in more order, such as more sophisticated computer software that can really help with problems they run into every day. It is important to find out what works for that person, and use it to make their lives more manageable.
If you think you may be suffering from Adult ADHD, check out our new ADHD quiz and see how your symptoms compare with those typically found in people with ADHD.