Just three summers ago, almost four million Americans visited the doctor for some sort of back injury or pain. Lots of back injuries traditionally happen over the course of the summer because many summer acivities are of a physical nature and traditionally take place outdoors. Dr. Afshin Razi points out that many occur as a result of awkward twisting or jerking of the body while attempting to lift something, movements that can very much be avoided. Additionally, Razi points out a few ways in which people can avoid spending their summer in and out of doctor’s offices this year. For example, by bending with your knees and keeping your back straight, you more evenly disperse your weight and place the strain on muscle groups that can handle it. Furthermore, avoiding injury can be as simple as asking a friend or neighbor for help lifting something. Proper posture, organization (making sure garden tools are all out of the way, for example), and proper footwear can also drastically reduce a person’s chance of a back injury this summer. Footwear should fit properly and be equipped with non-skid soles that can help to break fall before it happens. In these ways, you can help to stay safe this summer.
Back Pain spikes during the summer. Don’t let it bring you down by following these tips. #HealthStatus
- 1People need to take special care to avoid back injuries in the summer because of the increase in injury-prone activities.
- 2Maintaining strong core muscles and using safe lifting techniques reduce your risk of injury.
- 3AAOS (The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons) also offers tips on how to watch your posture, how to lift, avoid tripping and suggests rest.
See the original at: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=205115
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- Car Seat Safety / Cold / Controversy - February 13, 2019
- US Cancer Death Rate Hits Milestone: 25 Years of Decline - February 11, 2019
- Foods That Fight Constipation - February 6, 2019