Muscle spams are a common problem and are experienced by many people. These spasms can affect many different body parts, and as a result they produce a wide variety of symptoms. The most common type of spasm involves the musculoskeletal system, and these are typically caused by lack of adequate hydration and overuse of the affected muscle. Typically these spasms are brief and can be relieved by rest and stretching. If this is not the case, it is important to see a health care professional to rule out other causes of your pain.
Another type of muscle is smooth muscle, and this type of musculature is found in hollow organs. One organ that is especially prone to spasm is the colon. This can result in severe pain and diarrhea. Smooth muscle spasm is also responsible for causing pain in those suffering from things like menstrual pain, gallbladder disease, and kidney stones.
A third type of muscle spasm is classified as dystonia. Dystonia is thought to be caused by a neurotransmitter abnormality in the brain. Neurotransmitters are chemical signals produced by our body. These can be treated with medications to help balance those chemical signals. Sometimes Botox injections are used to paralyze the muscle causing the problem.
Ever wonder what causes those pesky muscle spasms and how to prevent or treat them? #HealthStatus
- 1Muscle spasms are usually short: stretching is the most common solution.
- 2Hollow organs contain smooth muscles: these spasms can cause significant pain.
- 3Dystonias are special muscle spasms related to the brain and may need medication to be treated effectively.
See the original at: http://www.medicinenet.com/muscle_spasms/article.htm
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- Body Image & Disordered Eating - February 24, 2018
- Protect Your Eyes When You’re Hitting the Slopes - February 24, 2018
- High Performance Coffee Exists So You Can Survive Mondays - February 23, 2018