The “fantasy” of planning your dream wedding and the “reality” of it are two different things. Everything from money (lack of) to cover the venue, dress and all the bells & whistles you have dreamt about, to the stress of making everyone happy with your decisions can “steal your joy!” I want to address this really important topic and give you strategies to remain in your joy no matter what obstacles and struggles will inevitably come your way, not only during the planning of your big day but in life “ever after.” As a Bride Fit Coach I address all areas that affect the health in your body and mind; maintaining your joy is high on the list for creating a life of contentment and satisfaction. Let’s start with defining the difference between joy and happiness; happiness is dependent on situations, people, places and things working according to our expectations and joy is a constant state of contentment and not “rocked” by circumstances.
Easier said than done! It’s simple but not always easy to remain a “JOYful bride.” Here’s 5 strategies to keep your peace and enjoy the journey to the alter:
- Don’t complain! That means stop whining or grumbling about things and getting annoyed at circumstances that are, most of the time, out of your control. It’s as simple as shifting the way you look at the situation. Your feelings are a mirror of your thoughts; simply changing your perspective on something will immediately shift your feelings from negative to positive. Don’t get me wrong, disappointments happen but it’s the way you handle them that matters and affects your joy and peace. We always have a choice on how to perceive a situation; don’t become a victim (poor me)! If your top venue of choice isn’t available on the date you want you can complain and get disgruntled about it, or look at it as an opportunity to explore other venues that may exceed your expectations and be even better! Look at obstacles or challenges as opportunities to learn, grow and sometimes be pleasantly surprised by an outcome much better than you thought possible. Live by the serenity prayer; “God, grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, and the Wisdom to know the difference. Serenity means a state of being calm, peaceful and untroubled. Courage is doing something and pushing through a situation even when you’re scared. Wisdom is having knowledge and good judgment. I want all these for you to achieve the Bride Fit Mind; serenity, courage and wisdom!
- Have gratitude! That means to be thankful, showing appreciation and recognizing how good things really are. There is no joy without gratitude! When we get tempted to complain or get down about the stress of the “to do” list, recognize how fortunate you are for having the privilege to plan a wedding with the love of your life! The feeling immediately shifts when we reflect on what we are thankful for. It’s a good practice to go through your gratitude list in the morning and before falling asleep at night. Wake up looking forward to the possibilities of the new day and the exciting things that will come your way!
- Keep a mindset filled with positive thoughts on purpose and clear vision of your goals. Read this for tips on creating this mindset.
- Pay attention to what you eat! Your moods and how you feel physically is greatly impacted by your diet especially if there’s a lack of key nutrients. Deficiencies in vitamin D, minerals, vitamin B’s and essential fatty acids, combined with an unhealthy gut are major contributors to depression and anxiety. Eating food that is nutrient dense and supplementing with micronutrients through bioavailable vitamins is vital for a Bride Fit Body & Mind.
- Move your body on purpose! Walk, run, ride a bike, dance, play a sport you love, practice yoga, go to the gym; do whatever lights you up and do it regularly. Science has proven that plain old walking for thirty minutes per day, three days per week, has a profound positive influence on our moods and mental health. So get moving!
I wish you the most enJOYable jouney to the alter! This is a very exciting time in your life and taking time to laugh and smell the roses along the way will make all the difference in the level sustained happiness (joy). Sing, dance and laugh your way through the everyday “humdrum” and wedding “to do” list. Relish in the SIMPLE life experiences, be thankful and appreciate all the amazing abundance of love & health in your life and your will experience being a “JOYful bride!” Get started today with 12 WEEKS TO A FIT BRIDE and get wedding dress ready and learn how to be Bride Fit in your Body, Mind, Home & Relationship. LIVE*LAUGH*LOVE!