Summer is coming to an end with Labor Day Weekend upon us! It’s bittersweet for me when September arrives because as much as I love summer (and this was the best one I can remember), I equally appreciate the opportunity for a fresh start. I’ve noticed, being in the fitness business for almost thirty years, that shedding summer fun in September is like losing the holiday treats in January! It’s a great time to “reset” and get back on track with fitness and health goals.
I’m a firm believer that in any situation doing the best you can is all you can do. When cooking at home, use the highest quality food and ingredients (organic, grass-fed, pastured, local) possible within your budget.
When eating skip the obvious empty calories such as the bread. If you’re having wine or cocktails skip dessert! Be aware, if you are gluten-free, of sauces often thickened with flour. If you’re not sure just ask! Salad dressing out of a bottle usually has lots of sugar and undesirable oils such as soybean, canola or vegetable oils. I ask if the server (very nicely) if the dressing is made fresh or from a bottle. If it’s from a bottle, I ask for olive oil and lemon or vinegar. Always get dressing on the side since you will probably use less than ½ of what they put on it. Applying these tips will save you calories from food that is not “feeding” you and will just make you want more food (aka-sugar)!
With Labor Day weekend comes parties and final days of summer fun that includes extra cocktails and food! Try to balance out the excess by:
- Walking 10,000 steps per day.
- Being mindful of what you put in your mouth, do you really want to eat the chips, crackers and cupcake? Count to 40 and then decide.
- Drink 8 ounces of water in between cocktails. This will slow you down and keep you hydrated.
- Don’t go to parties or out to dinner starving, that’s when mindless munching happens.
- Bring a vegetable platter or healthy dish to ensure there will be food available to keep you on your Bride Fit
TRUTH: With a little planning and preparing you can get through a holiday weekend feeling fit & fabulous and having a lot of fun with your fiancÃ©, friends and family too!
Having a mindset approaching this final holiday summer weekend of maintaining where you, in regards to your Bride Fit Body goals, will keep you from an “all or nothing” feeling. You know when you eat one cookie and then decide to eat a gallon of ice cream and a pizza the next day because you screwed up? Don’t do that! A punishment versus reward approach will not produce the results you want or a healthy relationship with food. Make mindful choices and enjoy them all! Spending time and creating memories with loved ones has positive effects on your waistline, so have an amazing end of summer! We’ll talk about suggestions to jumpstart your Bride Fit workouts and nutrition next week.
If you haven’t started 12 Weeks To A Fit Bride yet, buy today! It’s the perfect time to start. You’ll learn all the secrets to get wedding dress ready and live happily & healthily “ever after” with your fiancÃ©!
Latest posts by Sheila Piehler (see all)
- Navigating A Bride Fit Nutrition Plan Through The Holiday Season - December 1, 2017
- Eat Carbs & Skip Workouts To Get a Bride Fit Body - November 10, 2017
- Release The Extra Summer Pounds & Reset Your Bride Fit Body - August 25, 2017