Breast cancer occurs when cells in our breasts grow out of control causing tumors and damage to the nearby tissues. Tumors which are cancerous are known as malignant tumors and cause lots of damage to your body. It takes time for most tumors to grow, making it not easy to detect a tumor during a self exam, but mammograms can find small tumors.
Breast cancers best treatment – early detection. By the age of 20 all women should start doing Breast Self Examination (BSE) it is one of most easiest and earliest ways of detecting cancer. These checkups should be done few days after your periods. You should do this check up at least once a month. A clinical breast exam (with your doctor) should be done at least once a year.
Some of the signs to look for, while doing Breast Self Exam are:
- A lump found in and around the nipple or underarm
- Change in size or shape
- Nipple discharge or nipple turning inward
- Redness of skin or warmth
- Formation of dimple or change in skin texture
Risk Factors for Breast Cancer:
- Gender: Being a woman is one of the common reasons for suffering from breast cancer. Even though men suffer from this disease too, just being a woman puts you in lot of danger.
- Age: As you grow older your chances of having breast cancer increases.
- Family history: If somebody in the family has suffered from breast cancer your chances of having breast cancer increases.
- Being overweight or obese: If you are an overweight women your chances of breast cancer increases after menopause.
- Lack of exercise: Being lethargic and lack of any physical activity leads you towards increasing weight and chances of breast cancer
- Alcohol: Drinking alcohol becomes very risky as it increases your chances of breast cancer
- Eat a vegetarian diet
- Have plenty of organic food and vegetables
- Avoid red meat and any processed foods
- Avoid alcohol and colas
- You can have something sweet by having Stevia, an herbal sweetener substitute
- Eating lots of whole grains is very good such as oatmeal.
- Your diet must include wheat, bran and cabbage.
- Garlic, ginger, carrots, celery, cilantro, parsley and parsnip have some of the highest cancer fighting nutrients. Include them in your daily diet.