CBD derived from industrial hemp is no longer approved to be included in food or as a dietary supplement in the state of California. The state is waiting until the FDA issues clear guidelines on the level of human safety for consuming CBD from industrial derived hemp. CBD derived from cannabis is also illegal under these guidelines. However, hemp seed oil remains legal as long as the manufacturer does not make any dietary claims about the product. The State of California is essentially following the FDA and its rules regarding CBD products made from hemp.
The FDA has been issuing cease and desist letters to producers of CBD products that make a medical claim regarding the product. Despite this strict stance on CBD the FDA recently approved the use of Epidiolex, a drug derived from cannabis to treat severe epilepsy.
This is an evolving situation which deals with the Federal Food Drug and Cosmetic Act. Currently Epidiolex is the only CBD product which has been approved under this law. California Department of Public Health’s Food and Drug Branch rules also apply to CBD products originating from other states. How enforcement of these regulations will be carried out remains to be see. Many other states still allow CBD derived from hemp to be used in food and supplement products.
While CBD is useful, California is worried about what that CBD is being processed from. #HealthStatus
- 1California revises CBD use in food products that would have repercussions on how CBD products are sold in the state.
- 2Seed that come from the CBD material can be sold as long as the distributor does not claim medical benefits regarding the CBD item.
- 3This is a slight lose for CBD lawyers and their clients in the fight for the mainstream commercial use of hemp and other CBD related products.
Get the only CBD oil certified by The Hemp Authority. unKanni CBD Oil, organic, non-GMO, grown, extracted and bottled in the USA.
Cannabis edibles may crumble under new California law.
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- Coping In A Toxic Work Environment - December 17, 2018
- Weighted Blankets Improve Sleep - December 13, 2018
- AP Exclusive: First Gene-Edited Babies Claimed in China - December 12, 2018