Philippians 2 verse 3 says that we should “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility we should consider others as better than ourselves.”
Now this is Part 2 on a series of Building A Winning Team. Back in Part 1 we talked about the importance of getting everyone on the same page. Now if you’ve not viewed that message, I want to encourage you to check it out in the archive.
Now in this segment, we are focused on a very important component of building a winning team- That’s principal number two that we should submit to our teammates.
Our country’s founding fathers built our government around the rights and freedoms for the individual person. And even today, most of what we do is designed to enhance the life of the individual- from our technology to things of convenience, from fashion to music. No other country in the world offers the incredible variety of options and opportunities for the individual as does America.
Now it’s this “individualism” that can also hinder the development of an effective team. Now of course to experience high levels of success, we have to work well in teams.
So to build that effective team– to some degree we have to put aside our own selfish desires and ambitions. We need to understand that others around us have strengths and gifts we do not have.
Here are 3 Positive Team Building Things You Can Say:
- 1” You are much better than I am in this area, will you help me?”
- 2” Even though I could probably do it, I would like you to be in charge of this project.”
- 3” Although I am responsible for this department, I would like you to accept the award on behalf of all those who were a part of it.”
How about it? Can we put aside our own ambitions and desire for personal gain, so that your team can move forward?
When you do this, you will be applying The Truth@Work.
- What does this message say to you?
- How can you try setting aside your own selfish desires to help build a more effective team?
- What are some scriptures that may help you with your selfish desires?
Ray is also a highly sought after speaker at churches and retreats across America, where for years he has challenged followers of Christ to integrate their faith in and through the marketplace on a daily basis.He is also part of the speaking faculty for Orlando, Florida based “Man In the Mirror” ministry where he conducts seminars and retreats across the country.