Matthew 20:32 says that, “Jesus stopped and called them. ‘What do you want me to do for you?’”
Let me take just two minutes and share with you more about this story. It’s one of my favorite passages in all the Bible. And the story goes like this-That as a large crowd is following Jesus, these two blind men are crying out to Him. Now in the midst of everything that He had going on-and with everyone pulling at Jesus to get His attention, He stopped what He was doing and he asked these two blind men a question.
Now this is a great lesson. Because we see Jesus, with the crowd pulling at Him- and yet He saw the need of these two men. Candidly- it seems to me like it’s an easy question. He knew they were blind and He knew their need. Now obviously they wanted to be healed from their blindness- they wanted to receive their sight. And so they told Jesus this was their desire.
But why did Jesus ask them such an obvious question?
Well I believe it’s for two reasons:
1) I think He was teaching His followers that no matter how busy they are, they need to stop what they are doing at times and ask those around them what else needs to be done.
2) I think the Lord delights when His children seek Him out and talk to Him about their needs. There is something powerful about asking the Lord to answer our prayers. Jesus wanted to hear directly from these men what they needed from Him.
So here’s a few key points to how Jesus would want you to behave at work:
- No matter how busy you are, be sensitive to the needs of your co-workers, associates, and customers.
- Even when you feel like your plate is full, keep your eyes open for opportunities to help them out.
- Remember always ask those around you if “There is anything else you can do?”
- Then really listen to them. Even if the answer is obvious. Do all you can to help them with their problem.
- So seek someone out today who may have a need. Reach out to meet that need- and you will be acting as Jesus to them.
When you do this- you will be applying the [email protected].
- What was most helpful or impactful about this message to you?
- Are you in the habit of asking others if they need help? Why or why not?
- Describe a situation at work where you can truly serve someone today?
- What do you need to ask God to do for you at work today?
- Do you ask God to answer your prayers or just tell Him your problems/issues?
Ray is also a highly sought after speaker at churches and retreats across America, where for years he has challenged followers of Christ to integrate their faith in and through the marketplace on a daily basis.He is also part of the speaking faculty for Orlando, Florida based “Man In the Mirror” ministry where he conducts seminars and retreats across the country.