Diabetes is more prevalent than ever and 95% of cases diagnosed are type 2 diabetes.
Although for some the development of diabetes is inevitable, perhaps due to hereditary and other factors, for the vast majority it can be prevented by taking these 7 simple steps…
Before diabetes type 2 becomes fully developed you go through a stage known as pre-diabetes. This is where you start to show some of the symptoms, which if ignored, can lead to full blown diabetes.
Make these 7 action points part of your daily routine and you could halt this disease:
1) If you are overweight you risk developing diabetes. Reduce the amount of food on your plate so you gradually eat less and start to lose weight. Drink a glass of plain water or a sugar-free drink before your meal to take the edge of any hunger pains.
2) Reduce the amount of fat you are eating; grill or bake foods instead of frying; use low-fat spreads and reduced fat meals.
3) Check the Glycemic Index of the food you are eating – knowing what each food contains helps maintain your blood-sugars, which in turn can prevent the full onset of diabetes.
4) Drink at least 8 glasses of water every day. If you keep a bottle of water with you and sip frequently you’ll be surprised how much you can drink throughout the day without even knowing it.
5) If you are feeling peckish choose a healthy snack rather than a chocolate bar.
6) Use skimmed rather than full-fat milk in hot drinks.
7) Exercise is good for health. If you are not use to exercise then start a moderate exercise program, don”t overdue and pull muscles. 15 minutes gentle walking each day will ease you into a regular exercising pattern.
All of these action points are also the ones that diabetics are advised to take – if you take them now at the pre-diabetes stage you might prevent actual diabetes and all the life changes that entail.