ADHD is highly linked to an eating disorder according to a study. Statistics say that women with ADHD are 3.6 times more likely to develop an eating disorder than their non diagnosed counterparts. 10.4% of people diagnosed with ADHD in the study were later diagnosed with bulimia nervosa. Eating disorders are most often found in people with personality traits including perfectionism and obsessive compulsive disorder. When ADHD and eating disorders are diagnosed simultaneously, it becomes difficult to cure both at once, but it is not entirely impossible. Psychopathology was a known consequence of the extreme episodes combatted with the eating disorder. The presence of ADHD increased the frequency of the eating disorder and how severe the purges became. Some observed causes of eating disorders amongst women with ADHD resulted from peer rejection and harmful parent/child relationships. Results from having been diagnosed with both ADHD and an eating disorder include anxiety, depression, substance abuse, and even bipolar disorder. Having a strong family relationship and being able to control impulses helps to combat the hyperactivity. A positive self image is also essential to eliminating the need to act on those hyperactive impulses to create a new self. Reaching out for help is the most important step when fighting both an eating disorder and ADHD.
ADHD and eating disorders may have a link. Here’s what you should be watching for in your children. #HealthStatus
- 1Eating disorders commonly occur with other mental illnesses, like ADHD.
- 2ADHD is one of the most frequently diagnosed childhood disorders.
- 3Both disorders share common personality traits such as obsessive-compulsiveness and perfectionism.
See the original at: https://www.eatingdisorderhope.com/blog/adhd-eating-disorders-statistics
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- First CBD Cafe In US Offers Eye-Opening Way To Experience Cannabidiol - November 15, 2018
- Healthy Holidays / Family Stress The Relatives - November 14, 2018
- Dreaming On CBD: Will CBD Oil Cause Weird Dreams? - November 13, 2018