Recently, the American Medical Association came out in support of “equal health care access and payment for eating disorders”. The AMA said that many health insurance providers do not offer equal payment for eating disorders, despite federal laws requiring the payments. Many people who need treatment for eating disorders cannot afford it without the help of their health insurance. The AMA has a history of supporting eating disorder treatment, and does not agree with insurance companies making decisions about these issues instead of trusting the expertise of health care professionals. The AMA has supported such benefits as same-day payment for physical and behavioral treatment and increased funding for research of eating disorder prevention, diagnosis, and treatment. They have also developed an online training course for the treatment of eating disorders. A group called The National Eating Disorders Association is currently working to help pass the Helping Families in Mental Health Crisis Act, which would promote equal insurance coverage for eating disorders. The recent statement by the AMA could help this cause.
- 1The AMA voiced its support for equal health care access and payment for eating disorders. Most health care plans don’t offer equal payments of eating disorders.
- 2The AMA has urged for same day payment for physical and behavioral treatment. It continually supports increased funding for research into eating disorder prevention and treatment.
- 3A bill is being presented named the Helping Families in Mental Health Crisis Act if passed will promote equal insurance coverage for eating disorder treatment.
The AMA acknowledged that, despite various federal laws requiring parity in coverage of eating disorders, many payers and health plans do not offer equal payment for eating disorders, barring many from receiving necessary health care.
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- 11 Common Conditions That Can Be Treated By A Chiropractor - October 8, 2021
- 4 Signs Of Poor Gut Health And What You Can Do About It - September 16, 2021
- 4 Ways Magnesium Intake Impacts Your Body - September 13, 2021