Drunkorexia is a problem typically among college students in which they actively choose to restrict the amount of food they are eating so that they can then consume more alcohol without worrying about weight gain or so that the will become more drunk in a less amount of time. In some cases they will binge and purge or work out strenuously. There is typically a gender difference between the types of drunkorexia. For example, women are much more likely to purge and cut out foods altogether. Whereas men are more likely to do more strenuous workout routines etc. However both genders have been known to perform both.The problem with this condition is that it could lead to more negative alcohol-related consequences as well.
- 1College students appear to engage in certain behaviors to increase alcohol effects or reduce alcohol-related calories by engaging in bulimic-type or diet/exercising/calorie/restricted eating behaviors.
- 2The association between gender and drunkorexia is a complex one.
- 3It is important to realize that, in addition to the amount and/or frequency of alcohol consumption, the manner in which college students drink puts them at greatest risk for experiencing problems.
“It is important to realize that, in addition to the amount and/or frequency of alcohol consumption, the manner in which college students drink puts them at greatest risk for experiencing problems,” emphasized Rinker.
Read the full article at: https://psychcentral.com/news/2016/07/01/drunkorexia-when-college-students-eat-less-so-they-can-drink-more/105903.html
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- 11 Common Conditions That Can Be Treated By A Chiropractor - October 8, 2021
- 4 Signs Of Poor Gut Health And What You Can Do About It - September 16, 2021
- 4 Ways Magnesium Intake Impacts Your Body - September 13, 2021