Sustenance is much more than a matter of survival-It is a part of who we are culturally as a species. In this TED Talk, Dr. Laura Hill talks about the role biology plays in eating disorders. Through powerful and thoughtful illustrations, she takes the viewer on a journey through the mind of a person suffering Anorexia Nervosa. So much more goes on in the human brain in response to food consumption than one realizes. For those suffering this condition, a complex chain of events occurs which has to do with a human’s brain chemistry. Laura outlines this process in detail and explains how, to the Anorexic, food is a form of medication that must be taken in a well-regulated way to avoid unpleasant results. So, what is the Anorexic person to do? Ms. Hill concludes the speech by telling a story about how one family tackled the issue a member was having through careful and tactful planning. Whether full recovery is possible, or simply management of this disorder-whether you have this condition, or know someone who does-this talk will be 18 minutes of your life you won’t regret having spent.
Key Points of Video:
- 1Food is essential to the well-being of everyone. It is part of our physical health (nutrients and vitamins) and our interactions (eating with family and friends).
- 2Contrary to popular belief, eating disorders are biological disorders. Studies have shown that those with eating disorders have break-downs within their psyche when they consume food.
- 3Understanding anorexia is essential to our society. Many believe that anorexia is a passive disorder but it affects large amounts of people and the outcomes can be deadly.
The HealthStatus editorial team has continued that commitment to excellence by providing our visitors with easy to understand high quality health content for many years.
Our team of health professionals, and researchers use peer reviewed studies as source elements in our articles.
Our high quality content has been featured in a number of leading websites, USA Today, the Chicago Tribune, Live Strong, GQ, and many more.
Latest posts by HealthStatus Team (see all)
- Li-Fraumeni Syndrome (LFS) – Cancer & Genetics - September 14, 2021
- What To Know About Iron Deficiency In Children – Anemia - September 8, 2021
- Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) Overview - September 6, 2021