The Fat CEO: Why Many in Leadership Roles Are Comfort Eating

The Fat CEO: Why Many in Leadership Roles Are Comfort Eating

Stress very commonly leads to a number of negative and damaging habits. One of them is overeating, as the pressure leads us to look for ways to relieve it even temporarily. The satisfaction of foods is something we turn to, and that can cause not only pounds to pile on, but also trigger a feedback cycle where the disappointment in the changing physical condition creates even more stress.

Leaders or others who are in positions that require responsibility are particularly susceptible to the ravages of stress. Most in such roles are often in them for long periods of time, and the years of pressure can quickly mount. Some studies have shown that as many as one in four senior executives have measurably higher levels of stress, leading to greater rates of chronic anxiety and depression.

Stress may seem like just a mental issue, but it has physical effects. Highly stressed individuals often have changes in brain chemistry. It’s thought these changes may be involved in how so many such patients will seek to use food as an outlet for the pressure. Doctors and therapists have discovered that comfort eating offers only temporary relief, and at the price of worsening physical health. Those of us under regular stress should look for more productive ways of releasing it, to avoid long term problems.

Key Points:

  • 125% of the CEO’s in America under the age of 50 suffer from increased depression and anxiety from their jobs.
  • 2This increase in depression and anxiety can lead to coping mechanisms, one of which is comfort eating.
  • 3Only 30% people react to stress by eating less – the remaining 70% react by eating more.


One study found that 25% of chief executives aged 50 or younger had higher levels of depression and anxiety and believe they were at risk from job burnout.

See the original at: https://www.eatingdisorderhope.com/blog/leadership-roles-comfort-eating

Let HealthStatus Send You a $50.00 Gift Card

  • We will not share your information.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
or use our Purium coupon code page. Check here to learn what to watch for and where to buy Purium products online.



Follow us

HealthStatus

HealthStatus has been operating since 1998 providing the best interactive health tools on the Internet, millions of visitors have used our health risk assessment, body fat and calories burned calculators.The HealthStatus editorial team has continued that commitment to excellence by providing our visitors with easy to understand high quality health content for many years.
Follow us
Share

HealthStatus has been operating since 1998 providing the best interactive health tools on the Internet, millions of visitors have used our health risk assessment, body fat and calories burned calculators. The HealthStatus editorial team has continued that commitment to excellence by providing our visitors with easy to understand high quality health content for many years.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *