We work hard to live a life of health and wellness. We eat our fruits and veggies, drink lots of water and get in some sort of physical activity each day. Some of us hit the gym hard; lifting weights and running on that treadmill for 2 hours. Some of us take a leisurely stroll around the neighborhood. The key to living a healthier lifestyle isn’t necessarily being in the gym 20 hours a week or only eating salads. It is balance. It is taking that first step, sometimes literally, and sticking with it. Step it up! Work harder than you have before (challenge yourself). Cut out one thing from your diet. Keep it simple. Essential oils, just like certain foods, can help get you pumped up and ready for your workout. They can keep you going with an energy or focus boost and offer many post-exercise benefits. Whether you are continuing on or just beginning your wellness journey essential oils are a beneficial addition to your fitness routine. Who doesn’t want to reap the benefits of optimized workouts, improved energy, endurance and stamina and reduced muscle aches?
You can purchase essential oils in most health food and grocery stores and on that big online retailer’s website, BUT it is important to do your research. What is the company’s commitment to the purity and quality of their oils? Do they grow their own plants? Are pesticides used? What is the testing process after the oil is extracted? Know where you oils come from! Only purchase 100% Pure, Therapeutic Grade oils and be sure they are safe for consumption.
Here are a few oils or products you can start incorporating into your health, wellness and fitness routine today:
- Lemon: Add lemon essential oil to your water. This is an easy place to start, as lemon can benefit in boosting metabolism, supporting digestion and flushing the body of toxins. Lemon essential oil is extracted from the rind of the lemon. Our body’s pH balance is vital to ideal health. We are at our best when it is slightly alkaline and Lemon essential oil has an alkalizing effect. Perfect! Lemon essential oil also contains d-limonene, which is a natural compound found in the peel of citrus fruits. It is a powerful antioxidant. It has many antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties. D-limonene is known reduce appetite and therefore help with weight management. Lemon is also a natural detoxifier and can assist with digestion. Put two drops into a glass of water first thing in the morning and start of your day hydrated; a very important part to wellness. A drop of Lemon essential oil cost right around one penny, doesn’t spoil and produces less waste than whole lemons.
- Peppermint: Add peppermint to your water to stay hydrated and support digestion. Peppermint oil will keep you alert, focused and energized throughout your workout. Overheating? Simply place one drop on the back of your neck or add a few drops into a spray bottle with water and spray your head, face and shoulders. Not only will you experience a cooling sensation, but you will receive a nice energy and focus boost! Peppermint essential oil is a wonderful thing to add to your post work regimen, as it is comforting to sore or tight muscles.
- Grapefruit, Lemon, Spearmint and Tangerine: One drop each to a glass of water creates a refreshing, delicious and calorie free beverage that supports healthy weight management. These oils work together to help control cravings and hunger, and boost metabolism.
- Peppermint, Basil, Rosemary: This is a great combination for your pre-workout regimen. All three stimulate circulation and Peppermint is also know to increase stamina. Place these oils on your neck, wrists and nose before you start your workout or head out for a walk.
- Marjoram: This oil contains calming and relaxing properties and can do wonders for your muscles. Before you start your workout, rub marjoram on your legs, arms or back, to soothe aches, and to release tension in your muscles. Having stiff or tense muscles while working out can lead to muscle damage and will increase the soreness and aches you’ll have after a workout.
- Tangerine and Orange: Place 10 drops each in an 18 oz., glass spray bottle. Spritz on your face and muscles during your workout. Citrus oils are known to aid in greater focus and alertness. It can also help balance and manage the nervous system’s functions. In addition, plant hormones absorbed through the skin enter the blood and improve circulation.
- Wintergreen, Helichrysum, Clove and Peppermint: Place four drops each of these oils into a glass roller bottle (you can purchase the bottles online), fill the bottle to the top with a carrier oil (grapeseed, coconut, olive) and apply anywhere on your body that needs some special attention after that intense workout. It delivers a cooling/warming sensation that offers immediate relief. This blend is also known to help the muscles recover faster post-workout! This effective blend not only supports your muscular system, but your skeletal and circulatory systems, as well.
- Lemongrass: Applying lemongrass Essential Oil after a workout helps decrease muscle inflammation. Using this oil means that you can workout the next day without fighting extreme muscle aches.
- Lavender and Roman Chamomile: Combine six drops each with 2 Cups Epsom salts to your post workout soak. The useful properties of the oils, combined with the magnesium rich Epsom salt makes the perfect recovery medley. This combination eases aches and releases remaining tension in the body. This means don’t wake up feeling the aches of yesterday’s workout. It also re-energizes your body and brings your body back to a normal, pre-workout state by easing the increase of certain chemicals in your body that come from working out.
Essentials oils are a beneficial addition to our workout routines. They are 100% natural and can have a profound effect on our bodies as we strive to live above the wellness line.
The key to living a healthier lifestyle isn’t necessarily being in the gym 20 hours a week or only eating salads. It is balance. It is taking that first step, sometimes literally, and sticking with it.
- 1Essential oils can help optimize workouts, improve energy, endurance and stamina and reduce muscle aches.
- 2Peppermint oil will keep you alert, focused and energized throughout your workout.
- 3Lavender and Roman Chamomile Oils re-energize your body and bring it body back to a normal, pre-workout state.
The information contained in this article is meant for educational purposes only and not meant to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Statements in this article have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. This information should not be relied upon to determine dietary changes, a medical diagnosis or courses of treatment. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your physician before using these products.
Latest posts by Lisa Sweeney (see all)
- The Many Health Benefits of Lemongrass Essential Oil - July 5, 2017
- Essential Oils for Pain Management - June 30, 2017
- Do Real Men Use Essential Oils - June 28, 2017