A new retinal implant is offering fresh hope to millions facing or dealing with the prospect of vision problems due to degeneration in their eyes. More than eleven million people in America suffer from macular degeneration, often from advancing age. It’s normal, and until now there’s been little if anything medicine could do to truly ease the problem. That’s now changed.
Medical researchers have engineered an implant that can be inserted into the retina. It’s in the early stages of human testing, but early results seem promising. If it proves out, it can stop or even reverse the ravages of macular degeneration and give millions their eyes back so they can see everything life has to offer.
Macular degeneration is common among older adults. There are a couple of common types, but both will eventually result in blindness. Dry macular degeneration is very common, and can significantly reduce but not necessarily eliminate your vision. Wet macular degeneration is often treated by giving injections into the eye, which can help slow it down.
The new retinal implant is bioengineered from stem cells. It consists of retinal cells that are implanted into the patient’s own failing retina. Once implanted, the new cells take over for what the old ones are no longer doing, and give the patient their vision back. The initial studies are very positive, and broader testing is getting underway now.
Age related macular degeneration doesn’t have to end in blindness anymore. A new treatment can help. #HealthStatus
- 1Over 11 million people in the US have some form of age-related macular degeneration.
- 2A new bio engineered stem cell retinal implant treatment looks very promising to effectively cure this type of vision loss.
- 3More testing is needed only four patients have tried this treatment but researchers are very excited that this could be an answer.
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- 11 Common Conditions That Can Be Treated By A Chiropractor - October 8, 2021
- 4 Signs Of Poor Gut Health And What You Can Do About It - September 16, 2021
- 4 Ways Magnesium Intake Impacts Your Body - September 13, 2021