Hangovers! The horrible consequences of over indulging alcoholic beverages. Chronic drinking can cause increased health risks along with driving impairment, reduced productivity, poor academic performance, and workplace absenteeism.
There are some folk wisdom sayings about alcohol that a recent study out of Germany decided to test the validity of.
“Beer before wine and you’ll feel fine; wine before beer and you’ll feel queer”
Can the order or the mix of alcoholic drinks have an affect on a hangover?
Subjects were chosen by age, gender, body composition, alcohol drinking habits and hangover frequency. They were then divided into 4 groups. There would be two days of testing 1 week apart. The participants self-rated their own hangovers after each session.
- Group 1 Day 1 Consumed Beer and then Wine
- Group 2 Day 1 Consumed Wine and then Beer
- Control Group 1 Day 1 Beer Only
- Control Group 2 Day 1 Wine Only
1 Week Later
- Group 1 Day 2 flip flopped and Drank Wine then Beer
- Group 2 Day 2 flip flopped and Drank Beer than Wine
- Control Group 1 Day 2 drank Wine Only
- Control Group 2 Day 2 Beer Only
Results showed neithe