Meditation has been shown to help those with an eating disorder. Meditation allows you to not escape thoughts, but to more so retreat to a place of peacefulness, which allows you to recognize and accept an initial thought of anxiety, and then put it aside. Learning to acknowledge these thoughts is a gift. Many who try meditation have learned, and continue to learn every day, that if you feel particularly anxious, sad, nervous, or even excited, that these feelings will pass. It is a practice that allows you to separate more and more from your former unhealthy ways of thinking. It is a practice that allows you to further separate from an eating disorder identity. For many years, remaining busy was thought to help with eating disorder struggles; when truly, this notion contributed even more so to the downward spiral of their eating disorder.
- 1Meditation can be useful because it slows down things in your life and makes life somewhat less stressful and much more calm.
- 2It gives you a chance to sit down and relax and just breath. You will be able to focus more on your body and making it feel better.
- 3Meditation is also thinking about yourself in a calm way, you will be able to learn new things about yourself every day it seems.
Meditation allows me to give myself space, breathing room, and a pause. One pause can really be so freeing to someone who has never allowed themselves this gift. I have learned, and continue to learn every day, that if I feel particularly anxious, sad, nervous, or even excited, that these feelings will pass. Meditation teaches me to accept the thoughts and feelings and then let them go.
Read the full article at: http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/blog/meditation-the-art-and-gift-of-slowing-down
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- Death By Coronavirus: Covered By Life Insurance Policies? - April 1, 2020
- How To Shop For Medicine and Healthy Food Whilst Saving Money During The Coronavirus - March 31, 2020
- 5 Habits That Are Affecting Your Flexibility And Range Of Motion - March 27, 2020