The difference between healthy and unhealthy images from the media and the effects these images have. Magazines or tabloids push the theory that thin is better, not taking into account a personal journey, or that someone may be naturally thin or naturally big boned. Scrutinizing someone for gaining weight and making comments that suggest someone needs to diet or may be pregnant because of the weight gain. The idea that the media endorses fad diets as a way to lose weight or suggesting that a person run an extra flight of stairs to negate additional calorie “in” without acknowledging an items potential nutritional value. How the phrases we say can influence our children and make them want to diet, or having distorted body images by saying something as simple as “I’m getting old and fat.” Food is good for you, and its OK to to eat sweets and enjoy the food your eating. Basically it comes down to identifying the incorrect portrayal of food, fad dieting, over exercising, and enjoying your food and body image.
- 1The medias hyper attention to celebrities weight gains and losses makes all of us more focused on our own body image than is healthy.
- 2One of the things, unfortunately, we see is that tabloid magazines or TV shows talk about anorexia as a tween or young celebrity’s way of getting attention.
- 3Our bodies are naturally burning calories to take a breath, to wake up, to heal from a cold, to do regular activities in daily life that sustain us.
Sometimes a dietician might say you should skip the thick crust pizza and have the thin crust instead, because you’ll have to run for two hours in order to burn it off. This isn’t true; it is a fallacy to say that one has to exercise for every calorie one consumes. Our bodies are naturally burning calories to take a breath, to wake up, to heal from a cold, to do regular activities in daily life that sustain us.
Read the full article at: https://psychcentral.com/lib/q-a-with-eating-disorder-specialist-sari-fine-shepphird-part-1/
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- How To Shop For Medicine and Healthy Food Whilst Saving Money During The Coronavirus - March 31, 2020
- 5 Habits That Are Affecting Your Flexibility And Range Of Motion - March 27, 2020
- 7 Best Vegetarian Protein Sources - March 19, 2020