April is Alcohol Awareness Month, and April 6th is National Alcohol Screening Day. It is the perfect time for all to delve further into the subject of substance use disorders, which often go alongside eating disorders. Though alcohol may not seem too dangerous for some, it is a substance that is consistently abused. According to research, people suffering with an eating disorder are also abusing alcohol and/or drugs at a rate 5 times greater than seen in the general population. Up to around 57% of males who have binge eating disorder are also suffering from lifelong issues with abusing drugs and/or alcohol.
It is important to fully understand your personal relationship with alcohol. A self-assessment the Screening for Mental health can be taken at HowDoYouScore.org. The screening, while not a diagnostic tool, is confidential and will give an indication of whether or not you’re exhibiting signs of substance use disorder and if you should seek help. Anyone at risk receives instant referral and treatment information at the end of the screening. While not perfect, online screenings like this are an easily accessible and important first step in substance abuse intervention. Intervening early can greatly increase the chances for recovery. People who are simultaneously dealing with substance use issues and an eating disorder should seek treatment from a specialist knowledgeable in both areas.
Do you have a substance abuse disorder? Find out the honest truth here: #HealthStatus
- 1It is never too late or a better time to educate yourself and your family about alcohol awareness.
- 2The online survey is a quick and easy way to evaluate your current needs and identify if any additional help is needed.
- 3Alcohol abuse is often tied with eating disorders, and so identifying one may identify the other.
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- 3 Different Types Of Spinal Stenosis - April 1, 2021
- 3 Reasons People Use Organic Hand Soaps - February 24, 2021
- 3 Ways The Healthcare System Has Adapted To Remote Working - February 15, 2021