A personal trainer is someone who’s certified to help others concerning general health and fitness, especially with exercise prescription and instruction. It’s a unique mix of physical prowess and emotional competency because they have to motivate their clients to achieve their goals.
With celebrities and influential individuals crediting their personal trainers for helping them stay fit and healthy, the status of this profession has become elevated. Lots of people are seeing the value that these professionals offer.
To be able to call yourself a personal trainer officially, you have to study and learn about human anatomy and other areas involved with health and fitness. Check out these 5 best personal trainer certifications so you’ll know what to expect when you pursue this career.
To convince you further, here are the benefits of being a personal trainer:
One primary advantage of becoming a personal trainer is the fulfillment you get when your client starts to see results, and you get to witness their progress first-hand. While there’ll be frustrations, especially during the days when you have to give clients an extra push, there’s no greater feeling than knowing that you’re the first one to believe that they can achieve their goals.
These are the skills and traits that aspiring personal trainers should have:
- Industry Knowledge – It’s not enough to get certifications. You have to continuously gain new knowledge on health and fitness by staying updated with current trends and research.
- Communication – Communication is a two-way street. You have to know how to explain the different regimens and processes involved in exercising to your clients. Plus, you must also be adept at listening to their concerns and read their non-verbal cues, so that you can personalize your training plan to suit their personality and needs.
- Planning – You must have organizational skills, which allow you to use your resources effectively and efficiently so that you and your client can achieve the desired goal.
- Reliability – Build your clients’ trust in you by arriving on-time during your personal training sessions. Moreover, when emergencies arise, you should be prompt in informing them that you won’t be able to make it.
- Credibility – You’re your own product, so you must be healthy and fit first. How can people believe that you can help them attain the body they want when you can’t even do it for yourself?
- Passion – You’ve got to bring your heart into your work. Helping others requires emotional investment in the well-being of your client. You can’t do this job properly if you’re just in it for the money.
Enjoying What You Do
If you’ve always been a fitness buff, you can hit two birds with one stone by becoming a personal trainer. You can keep doing what you love, which is exercising and staying in shape, as well as earn a living from it. This career is one of the ways to combine passion and profit.
Staying in Shape
As mentioned above, you have to be healthy and strong first before you’re perceived as a credible personal trainer. This factor is additional motivation to stay in shape and can push you to become the best possible version of yourself physically, mentally, and emotionally.
Having Exclusive Perks
When you work as a personal trainer, whether in a gym or other health and fitness centers, you can enjoy exclusive perks that only employees can get. Not only will your membership automatically be free, but you can also gain access to facilities like showers and use of the swimming pool, which is sometimes reserved for premium customers.
Choosing Your Work Hours
Another advantage of becoming a personal trainer is flexible work hours. It’s the ideal setting for parents who want to take care of their kids while having a source of income at the same time. If you have regular 9-to-5 office work, it’s also perfect as a side hustle because you won’t have to quit your day job.
Endless Possible Career Paths
There are a lot of career opportunities for personal trainers outside the four walls of the gym. You can work in a sports club, hotel, and even on a cruise ship, which allows you to travel and work at the same time.
A career as a personal trainer is a fulfilling job because you get to earn income by helping others achieve their health and fitness goals. If exercising and working up a sweat has always been your passion, this is an excellent profession for you. You can enjoy exclusive perks, choose your work hours, and grow in the industry because of the limitless career opportunities that await you.