Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are a popular legume. They originally were used primarily in the Mediterranean and Middle East. Chickpeas are the base to the delicious Mediterranean dip hummus! These small round legumes have a mild flavor and offer a creamy texture when blended or mashed.
Did you know that chickpeas offer some really great health benefits as well?
- Fiber – 1 cup of chickpeas contain 12.5 grams of fiber. This fiber specifically helps feed the good bacteria in the gut as well as adding bulk to help eliminate excess hormones from your system. We suggest aiming for about 40 grams of fiber per day.
- Slow Release Carbohydrate – Due to the high level of fiber and being relatively low on the glycemic index, chickpeas are an amazing carbohydrate source for women with PCOS. Chickpeas have been proven to have a positive effect on blood glucose levels supporting stable blood sugar levels after being consumed.
- Iron – Chickpeas are an awesome vegan source of iron! Some women who struggle with PCOS symptoms often are deficient in iron. 1 cup of chickpeas supplies 26% of the recommended daily intake of iron. Pair chickpeas with crunchy kale for a mega iron boost.
- Folate – Chickpeas are one of the richest sources of folate, or vitamin B9. Folate is found naturally in foods and is considered essential because your body is unable to produce folate on its own. Folate is helpful for women with PCOS because many of us have the MTHFR gene mutation. Low folate levels can cause a weakened immune system, low energy levels, digestive issues as well as fetal developmental problems when pregnant. We encourage you to get folate naturally through food – folic acid found in some supplements (not in the 5-Element System) is a synthetic form of folate that can often be difficult for the body to convert to the active form of folate, causing more problems then it solves.
- Weight Management – Chickpeas are a nutrient dense food – they offer calcium, vitamin K, zinc, magnesium and choline. Along with all of these beneficial nutrients, the fiber found in chickpeas offer a perfect combination for some amazing health benefits – including weight loss. The fiber in chickpeas plays an important role in maintaining a healthy gut microbiome, improved nutrient absorption, and a feeling of fullness…all important factors for weight release.
Try adding half a cup of these health-boosting legumes into your daily diet. Blend them up in a creamy dip, try adding them to curry, or toasting them in the oven for a crispy salad topping. Chickpeas are an amazing addition to so many meals!
Cooking tip to remove toxic lectins: be sure to purchase canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans) in a BPA free can, or purchase raw chickpeas and soak in purified water for 24-48 hours. Rinse well and cook for 1-2 hours on simmer to remove toxic lectins that can bind to nutrients in your gut. This will make them much healthier!
Becoming victorious over the symptoms of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome is not an easy task, but you can overcome your symptoms to live the life you deserve.
It takes strength, courage, and perseverance. It can be challenging and that’s why Insulite Health created the PCOS 5-Element System. It’s a step-by-step process that will help you balance your hormones and reverse PCOS symptoms using our proprietary 5% Solution.
So take the next steps now! Use the links below to learn how to make the changes that will transform your health and your life forever.
- Read more about PCOS
- Take the PCOS Test and assess your risk!
- Learn more about the Insulite 5-Element PCOS Solution
About Insulite Health PCOS.com
Insulite Health, is committed to helping women reverse their symptoms of hormone imbalance. Scientific research has revealed that this imbalance can be a primary cause of many devastating health symptoms. Hormone Imbalance can also underlie the increased risk factors for PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) – a major source of serious diseases as well as cause of excess weight gain, adult acne, unwanted facial hair, depression, anxiety, and heartbreaking female infertility.
©Insulite Health, Inc., pcos.com empowers women with PCOS to transform their lives through a process of healing with the 5-Element PCOS System – the world’s only complete solution for helping women heal from the symptoms of PCOS and hormone imbalance.
Latest posts by Robin Nielsen (see all)
- This mighty mineral helps with hormone imbalance - February 21, 2020
- The 5% Solution and How to Get Started Balancing Your Hormones - February 14, 2020
- Step #9 to heal your hormones - January 18, 2020