There is much that is still not known about the body’s immune response. Currently researchers are studying the effects of diet, exercise, age and stress on our immune response.
The most important thing you can do to fight disease and strengthen immunity is to live a healthy lifestyle.
- Do not smoke.
- Eat a balanced diet with lots of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Get regular exercise.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Get sufficient sleep.
- Drink alcohol in moderation.
- Control blood pressure.
- Wash hands frequently.
As we age we do see a decline in the ability to heal quickly from infections that previously didn’t sideline us for so long. Respiratory infections, flu and pneumonia are leading causes of death for those over 65. Micronutrient malnutrition also is something of concern for the elderly. This can be found even in affluent countries.
There is a connection between your mind and your body. Stress does seem to play a big role in the health of an individual. Stress is a hard factor to study. What is stressful for you may not be stressful for someone else and how stress affects immune function gets even more difficult.
You won’t run out of options of products that say they support your immune system, but be skeptical and read labels. Many of these products won’t cause you any harm, but they may not be helping that much either.
Sometimes your immune system needs a little help from you. Here’s how to give it a boost. #HealthStatus
- 1On the whole, your immune system does a remarkable job of defending you against disease-causing microorganisms.
- 2The immune system is precisely that – a system, not a single entity.
- 3Many products on store shelves claim to boost or support immunity. But the concept of boosting immunity actually makes little sense scientifically.
See the original at: https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/how-to-boost-your-immune-system