The health benefits of leafy green vegetables are not new, but just how beneficial they are continues surprise scientists and medical researchers. New understanding of what they do for a healthy diet is always evolving, even for root vegetables. The humble beet has been linked to a number of helpful benefits.
Athletes in particular may want to start eating more beets. Research shows beet consumption can improve general athletic performance. Substances in beets and leafy green vegetables, nitrates, enhance how our cells utilize oxygen; making the process more efficient. This translates to an overall improvement in endurance and stamina. Muscles require oxygen to function, and efficient oxygen use allows them to do more for longer.
Vegetable based nitrates carry these benefits, but only when delivered and consumed in that form. Research into extracting them into a pill form has not been promising; there are indications that safety issues exist when the nitrates are not eaten in the natural form. Healthy supplement companies have responded by focusing on offering various products that promise to enhance nitrates in your diet. These claims are untested, and consumers should stay wary when considering whether or not to add a specific supplement to their dietary routine for this purpose. But it’s not all bad news; other companies are looking for ways to hide beets and vegetables in more palatable foods, like bread.
Eating your vegetables really will help you run better; beets are the key to better endurance #HealthStatus
- 1The nitrates in leafy green vegetables and beets help the body’s cells use oxygen more efficiently.
- 2Studies have shown beet consumption is linked to higher athletic performance by increasing stamina and reducing muscle fatigue.
- 3Vegetable nitrates must be consumed in the natural form; no pill replacement form currently exists for them.
Everyone and their mother knows that beets are good for you, but does everyone know why?
Packed with phytonutrients (“phyto” being the Greek word for plants), vitamins and minerals, beets provide support to many systems of the body from digestion to energy levels.
- Bodies convert the nitrates found in beets to nitric oxide, which helps improve oxygenation levels in the blood and overall circulation.
- The antioxidants and fiber act like natural cleansing agents, helping with the detoxification of toxins and heavy metals in the blood and giving the digestive tract a gentle flush to support a healthy elimination process.
- Consuming whole foods like beets is an excellent way to reduce the immune system from triggering ongoing harmful levels of high inflammation.
- Healthy blood pressure, stamina, and detox are just a few of the immune boosting benefits of beets. According to a study done on beetroot juice.
- Beets may stimulate cell production, which can protect your skin from premature aging and wrinkles. It’ll also keep your brain young by preserving it with nitrates to improve blood flow.
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- 11 Common Conditions That Can Be Treated By A Chiropractor - October 8, 2021
- 4 Signs Of Poor Gut Health And What You Can Do About It - September 16, 2021
- 4 Ways Magnesium Intake Impacts Your Body - September 13, 2021