Despite trendy popularity of other, newer grains, oatmeal remains an effective and simple tool for runners to fuel up with.
Oats are seeds made up of two parts, a non-edible hull and an edible center called the “groat.” The amount of groat in ready-to-eat oats depends on the type of oat. Regardless, oats are considered whole grains and are one of the few that pack substantial amounts of protein; a half cup nets about 7g.
Oats also hold other nutrients full of benefits for runners. For example, Beta-Glucan, a sugar found in oat cell walls, has been seen to reduce the risk of upper respiratory infections and fatigue in endurance runners. Oats additionally contain both maganese, an element the body uses for blood clotting and calcium absorption, and flavonoids. Flavanoids help runners by reducing muscle inflammation.
To get the full nutritional benefits, pairing oats with dairy can up protein intake as well as aid in digestion. Oats do contain fiber, so it’s equally important to make sure to eat the right type of oats at the right time to minimise any impacts of fiber on a workout. Experiment with different oat types and recipes to find what works best for you.
Could this be the next big sports supplement? You won’t believe what oatmeal can do! #HealthStatus
- 1Oats are packed full of healthy vitamins and minerals. Different oats have more health benefits than others based on how much of the groat they have.
- 2Manganese improves bodily functions and even works better than when a placebo is used.
- 3Oats are chock full of fiber which helps when you need energy for a long day but make sure you eat the best oats at the right time as some are hard to digest.
See the original at: http://trailrunnermag.com/nutrition/race-day-nutrition/oatmeal-ideal-race-fuel.html
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- First CBD Cafe In US Offers Eye-Opening Way To Experience Cannabidiol - November 15, 2018
- Healthy Holidays / Family Stress The Relatives - November 14, 2018
- Dreaming On CBD: Will CBD Oil Cause Weird Dreams? - November 13, 2018