The question was posed as to whether Vegemite or peanut butter is better for one’s health, considering both are popular choices for breakfast. All around, the clear winner, according to accredited dietitian Joel Feren, is peanut butter. With its antioxidant vitamin E, protein, and heart healthy fats, peanut butter offers a lower salt content and sustained energy to get you through the morning.
Vegemite, on the other hand, although a great source of B vitamins, contains a large amount of sodium, which can significantly increase blood pressure. In recent years, though, a lower sodium product has been developed. Combine this with the relatively small serving size (the amount of Vegemite one normally uses is about half a teaspoon), the sodium content can be a little bit less concerning.
Another spread dietitian Joel Faren recommends, if you don’t like peanut butter, is Cottage cheese. Cottage cheese is low in fat and high in protein and calcium.
So, as you can see, there are a number of healthy options for spreading on your morning toast. But the ‘all around’ winner is definitely peanut butter, according to our dietitian’s advice, although both Vegemite and cottage cheese will help fill you up in the morning.
Nutritionally speaking, which is better on toast: Peanut butter or Vegemite? #HealthStatus
- 1Cassandra Green, blogger for bodyandsoul.com.au notes that both Vegemite and Peanut Butter are perennial favorites on toast, while posing the question, “are they also nutritious?”
- 2Dietitian, Joel Feren tackles the question, giving peanut butter the thumbs up.
- 3Peanut butter, says Feren, has monounsaturated fat, vitamin E and protein, for a strong heart and hard-working muscles.
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- 3 Different Types Of Spinal Stenosis - April 1, 2021
- 3 Reasons People Use Organic Hand Soaps - February 24, 2021
- 3 Ways The Healthcare System Has Adapted To Remote Working - February 15, 2021