Skelaxin and Baclofen are medications that help relax the skeletal muscles which are the muscles that control body movement. Skelaxin is used for short term pain reliever of the muscles and skeletal conditions. It is used as an alternative to Physical Therapy. The Baclofen drug is for long term use of muscle spasms and skeletal conditions such as muscle rigidity, muscle clonus and certain disorders like multiple sclerous. Baclofen chemically is related to gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) which in the brain is a natural occurring neurotransmitter. GABA that is released by some nerves causes the activity of other nerves to decrease. It is thought that Baclofen acts like GABA and blocks the activity of some nerves that control the contractions and relaxation of the skeletal muscles in the brain. The side affects of both of these drugs that are similar are: dizziness, drowsiness, headache, nausea, and vomiting. The different side effects of Skelaxin are: allergic reaction, anemia, upset stomach, rash, low white blood cell count, yellow skin and eyes. The different side effects of Baclofen are weakness, insomnia, seizures, low blood pressure, constipation, depression, and increased urinary frequency, or urinary retention. If oral Baclofen is suddenly stopped it may cause a withdrawal reaction such as hallucinations and seizures. If suddenly stopped taking intrathecal Baclofen the following may occur: rebound spasticity, high fever, muscle rigidity, and muscle breakdown (rhabdomyolysis) that can cause several organ failures such as kidneys and even death.
Your doctor can help you figure out which of these muscle relaxants is the right one for you. #HealthStatus
- 1Both are muscle relaxants that can help people with chronic problems with their muscles and joints.
- 2Skelaxin is short term and more designed for a minor injury that is healing.
- 3Baclofen is long term and is better for a person suffering from chronic or sporadic problems over time.
See the original at: https://www.medicinenet.com/skelaxin_vs_baclofen/article.htm
Designed to help people who may want an alternative to NSAIDs or non-steroidal drugs and aspirin, OR those who no longer qualify for a prescription (as well as those who simply reject pharmaceutical drugs) yet have discomfort related to some physical trauma. Naturally help EASE your body from daily wear and tear, with Turmacin that may support healthy muscles and joints.
- Can support body’s response to inflammation
- May support healthy responses to physical tension
- May be taken daily
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- Car Seat Safety / Cold / Controversy - February 13, 2019
- US Cancer Death Rate Hits Milestone: 25 Years of Decline - February 11, 2019
- Foods That Fight Constipation - February 6, 2019