While most calls to poison control for dietary supplements in children result in serious medical conditions, they have been increasing by nearly 50% between 2005 and 2012. According to a recent journal article in the Journal of Medical Toxicology, between 2000 and 2012 there was a call every 24 minutes to poison control centers related to dietary supplements. Of those calls, 70% involved children under the age of six. A significant number of these calls were related to supplements that were energy products. While many customers believe that dietary supplements are held to the same regulatory standards as over the counter drugs, they are actually not according to the author of the study, Gary Smith, MD, DrPH. They do not need FDA approval or clinical testing to be sold on store shelves. This can sometimes lead to a lack of quality control in the products and miscellaneous substances that may be added without consumers knowledge. While most supplements on their own will not interfere with your body, some of the extra substances contained in non FDA approved supplements may cause problems for consumers. It is always best to keep your doctor in the loop about what supplements you may be taking.
Supplement or Detriment: Why that dietary supplement may be bad for your child! #HealthStatus
- 1Research shows that from 2000-2012, there are calls made to Poison Control every 24 minutes regarding dietary supplement exposures.
- 2From that research, 70% of these exposures occurred in children that were younger than 6 years old.
- 3Study shows that we may think supplements are harmless, but they can contain things that could interfere with your body.
See the original at: http://www.refinery29.com/2017/07/164866/dietary-supplement-study-poison-control
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- Blood Test May Predict Who Is Most At Risk For Diabetes - July 19, 2018
- My Mammogram Missed My Breast Cancer - July 19, 2018
- How Nattokinase Supports Reproductive Wellness - July 18, 2018