While most people have heard too much dietary salt is unhealthy, doctors and medical researchers are actually split on just how unhealthy it might be. Some even disagree that it’s nearly the problem most of us are being told it is. While there are medical professionals who stridently reject the demonization of salt, other healthcare workers and scientists consider that a position that could put millions at risk by encouraging them to not mind their salt consumption.
The current medical recommendations for salt intake is to reduce it by half compared to the typical intake amount. The human body needs salt, definitely, and this is part of the problem. Evolution shaped us to retain this necessary mineral against periods when we might not be getting enough. Now that salt is abundant, too abundant some say, most of us are getting quite a lot of it. Cultures where salt consumption has not risen to the dangerous levels in most modern diets do not have the cardiovascular problems, such as high blood pressure, that are so worrying to the anti-salt advocates.
Much of the advice to not worry about salt consumption appears to be coming from sources connected to the salt industry, and also the pharmaceutical sector. Treating salt related medical conditions is big business.
- 1The majority of those who claim thst high intake of salt is not harmful are industry professionals or people with a financial interest in espousing this belief.
- 2Most professionals agree that too much dietary sodium is harmful and that hypertension can be controlled by reducing dietary salt intake.
- 3The debate over the danger of high sodium intake is unbalanced. Health professionals almost unanimously agree that too much sodium is unhealthy.
See the original at: https://nutritionfacts.org/2018/01/18/whos-right-in-the-salt-debate/
Did You Know?
Let HealthStatus Send You a $50.00 Gift Card
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- 11 Common Conditions That Can Be Treated By A Chiropractor - October 8, 2021
- 4 Signs Of Poor Gut Health And What You Can Do About It - September 16, 2021
- 4 Ways Magnesium Intake Impacts Your Body - September 13, 2021