Mom always told you not to rush at the table, to slow down when you eat. Turns out, mom was right. When you eat slower, you give your body time to realize it’s full. And you give yourself more time to receive and understand that signal as well, so you stop eating sooner, and as a result don’t overdo it. The body is designed to give feedback, and when we listen, we can get along with it a lot better.
Drinking is no different from eating. When we consume a liquid, doing so in a slower, more measured fashion, can cause us to stop drinking sooner as we realize we’re not satiated. With a diet soda or water it might not be a big deal to gulp down a bit more than we really need; but with something like a smoothie or a meal replacement shake, that’s still calories we’re swallowing. By slowing the rate of consumption, we can keep managing the results much easier and more controlled.
Smoothies are a great way to get a lot of nutrients we might not otherwise, especially things that we don’t typically eat in our other foods. But as with everything else, it’s moderation and patience to avoid too much of a good thing. Using a straw can keep your sipping on the right track.
Correction: Why it’s better to not Drink Green Smoothies at All #HealthStatus
- 1Eating or drinking slowly gives you time to notice and respond to your body’s cues that it’s full, so you don’t over-consume.
- 2Smoothies are a great way to get nutrients and vitamins from foods you might otherwise not eat by themselves.
- 3Straws encourage you to drink slower, and can help the smoothie bypass your teeth where some of the ingredients could be a problem.
Did You Know?
Let HealthStatus Send You a $50.00 Gift Card
As you can see in the article, The Downside of Green Smoothies, the thicker the smoothie, the less hungry you are one, two, and even four hours later-and flax seeds make for thick, milkshake-type smoothies.
One final caveat for smoothies: When I advocate green smoothies to boost fruit and vegetable consumption, I’m talking about whole food smoothies, not those made from juice or with added sugars-or human organs.
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- 11 Common Conditions That Can Be Treated By A Chiropractor - October 8, 2021
- 4 Signs Of Poor Gut Health And What You Can Do About It - September 16, 2021
- 4 Ways Magnesium Intake Impacts Your Body - September 13, 2021