Stretch marks are slightly depressed linear marks with varying length and breadth found on certain parts of the body in conditions like pregnancy, obesity, puberty etc due to the excessive stretching of skin for a long period.
SOME MYTHS ABOUT STRETCH MARKS
- Only women are affected by stretch marks.
- Only obese and pregnant ladies get stretch marks.
- They persist forever.
- They increase with time.
- They spread all over the body.
- Stretch marks indicate ill health.
- They indicate loss of physical beauty.
- They can progress to leucoderma.
- They are contagious.
SOME FACTS ABOUT STRETCH MARKS
- Both sexes are affected by stretch marks.
- People in both extremes of life are affected.
- Both obese and slim people get stretch marks.
- 70% of teenage girls get stretch marks.
- 90% of pregnant ladies get stretch marks.
- Stretch marks may persist for a long time but become less noticeable later.
- Regular exercise prevents stretch marks, whereas vigorous exercise and bodybuilding can result in stretch marks.
- Modern treatment methods are effective, but expensive.
- Chemical peeling and laser therapy may cause pain and scarring.
- Natural methods are cheap and free from side effects.
The HealthStatus editorial team has continued that commitment to excellence by providing our visitors with easy to understand high quality health content for many years.
Our team of health professionals, and researchers use peer reviewed studies as source elements in our articles.
Our high quality content has been featured in a number of leading websites, USA Today, the Chicago Tribune, Live Strong, GQ, and many more.
Latest posts by HealthStatus Team (see all)
- How to Identify and Shop for High-Quality Cannabis Oil - January 13, 2020
- How Much Sleep Do We Really Need? - December 17, 2019
- Another Study Casts Doubt on Safety of Herbal Drug Kratom - December 11, 2019