Celiac disease is when your body mishandles gluten. If you have celiac disease when you consume something with gluten in it an autoimmune response is triggered that damages the small intestine and prevents the absorption of nutrients. This can lead to malnutrition, low bone density, lactose intolerance and infertility. 1 in every 100 people has celiac disease.
The solution is a gluten free diet. Gluten is found in wheat, barley, rye or any combinations of these grains.
A new study is linking miscarriages and stillbirths to untreated celiac disease. If a person is having trouble conceiving or maintaining a pregnancy it would be beneficial to be tested to see if gluten is a problem for you. Once you start a gluten free diet chances of conception/pregnancy go back to normal odds for someone without celiac disease.
Celiac disease is a dangerous condition when undiagnosed, and it can impact fertility and pregnancy. #HealthStatus
- 1Undiagnosed / untreated celiac disease has a 15% higher chance of adverse pregnancy outcomes.
- 2Those struggling with pregnancy should get tested for celiac disease.
- 3A gluten free diet is only beneficial for those suffering with this disease.
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- Old-Fashioned Toys Better for Kids than Video Games, Pediatricians Say - January 21, 2019
- Protecting Yourself from Hepatitis A - January 18, 2019
- Signs & Symptoms of Lactose Intolerance - January 16, 2019