Sleep apnea is a common sleep disorder that affects many men and women in around the world. It was recently found in a small survey about quality of life when treating sleep apnea that there may be additional benefits in sexual health in regards to treatment of sleep apnea.
Sleep apnea is when your airway collapses while you sleep and you can’t get your breath. This forces your body to continue to wake you up to breathe. CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machines are a common treatment option for those suffering with sleep apnea. This machine keeps the airway open with streaming air. It does require you to wear a mask. Another treatment option is a device that is worn in the mouth while sleeping that pushes out the lower jawbone again helping that upper airway to not collapse.
Some symptoms of untreated sleep apnea will include excessive daytime sleepiness, decreased quality of life, heart attacks, and heart failure.
One detraction of the study on sexual health is that the study was related to quality of life not sexual health directly. It also seems that treatment for sleep apnea and improvement in sexual health was more pronounced in women than men.
In summary, if one has sleep apnea it should be treated as it can improve sexual quality of life and quality of life in general.
- 1Sleep apnea is a common disorder that leads to disrupted breathing or shallow breaths during sleep and has been linked to sexual dysfunction.
- 2Apnea that isn’t properly treated can result in excessive daytime sleepiness, decreased quality of life, heart attacks and heart failure.
- 3One limitation of the study is that researchers relied on a survey assessing quality-of-life related to apnea, not sexual health.
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- 11 Common Conditions That Can Be Treated By A Chiropractor - October 8, 2021
- 4 Signs Of Poor Gut Health And What You Can Do About It - September 16, 2021
- 4 Ways Magnesium Intake Impacts Your Body - September 13, 2021