We all need sleep. Without it, our bodies and minds cannot recharge and recover for the next day. Too long without not just sleep, but the right kind of sleep, can be very damaging to your overall health. Sleeplessness, or chronic problems getting good sleep, can lead to stress, inattention, and even physical health issues. Modern medicine recognizes the role healthy sleep plays in the overall health of humans, and there are doctors who specialize in sleep and sleeping disorders such as insomnia or apnea.
Michael Breus is a board certified sleep specialist, with a PhD in psychology. He knows a lot about sleep and how to help patients correct problems they might be having getting it, but always defaults to one very simple suggestion as his starting point for anyone. He advises setting a standard wake up time, one that doesn’t change from morning to morning, and making sure you rise at that same time every day. This allows your body maintain your internal circadian rhythm, which is the biological process your body moves through to regulate its expectations of waking periods versus rest periods.
So while it might be tempting to have a lie in on the weekends, if you stick to a regular schedule, you’ll be setting yourself up for more consistent sweet dreams.
Fixing your problems sleeping could be as easy as setting a regular wake-up time every day #HealthStatus
- 1Many people do not get the quality sleep they need every night.
- 2A lack of good sleep has effects on mood, mind, performance, and health.
- 3Getting up at the same time every morning is the best sleep hack.
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- 11 Common Conditions That Can Be Treated By A Chiropractor - October 8, 2021
- 4 Signs Of Poor Gut Health And What You Can Do About It - September 16, 2021
- 4 Ways Magnesium Intake Impacts Your Body - September 13, 2021