Sleep is an essential part of our overall well-being. If you lack sleep, it can affect you physically, physiologically, mentally, and emotionally. As adults, it’s recommended you get around 7 to 9 hours of sleep a day. However, despite having the right amount, some people are still not getting the good quality of sleep they deserve.
Several factors can affect the quality of your sleep. If you happen to have poor sleeping experiences, then perhaps it’s time for you to figure out how you can turn things around. One of the possible options that you can do to improve this is to get yourself a new mattress. Yes, a mattress can help you sleep better. However, it would help if you also considered its firmness. In the event you are considering getting a new mattress, don’t forget about these beneficial tips:
Research Is Key
If you think that where you sleep is not essential, then you are in for a rude awakening. The kind of mattress you have can severely affect the quality of your sleep. When you’re about to choose a mattress, make sure you do your research thoroughly. Every couple of years, you should change your mattress. However, before you do just that, remember that there are several factors to consider that you should not take for granted at all.
For some people, choosing a mattress might come as a challenge, most especially if they haven’t shopped for one before. Imagine having no clue about the different mattress types and their various firmness levels. However, if you are new to the whole mattress shopping experience, there’s Sleep Authorities to help you narrow down your choices.
As there are numerous mattresses available in the market, you should know what you are looking for. It will make things easier for you when you assess the mattress that you should be getting for yourself. Through your research, you will discover the significance of a mattress’s firmness to your sleep cycle and sleep quality.
Know The Mattress Level
When you go mattress shopping, there’s one essential feature that you shouldn’t disregard at all. The firmness level of your mattress plays a part in you getting a good night’s sleep. If you’re a newbie to mattress shopping and want to make the process smoother, you can probably look into something like a Tulo Mattress review as a reference.
- Extra Firm (Level 9 to 10) – This super firm mattress is rare. It is being used for orthopedic purposes as it offers support for those who are suffering from bad back issues.
- Firm (Level 7 to 8) – If you want something that has a very solid surface but still offers the right level of support and firmness, then this one is an option for you.
- Medium (Level 5 to 6) – With this level of firmness, there’s a right balance between comfort and support. It is often the type that the majority of people would feel comfortable sleeping on!
- Soft (Level 3 to 4) – For this level, it’s something solid and soft that contours to your body’s shape. While there is sinkage, it’s not as significant when compared to the lowest level.
- Extra Soft (Level 1 to 2) – As its level name implies, this one takes the cake for being the softest. However, it’s something that doesn’t offer support for your body, which can make sleeping uncomfortable.
Identify Your Sleeping Position
Now that you know more about the firmness level of the mattress, it’s time for you to take note of your sleeping position. These two crucial factors correlate and connect with each other. If you need more information about this matter, then you should take a look at the following:
- Side Sleeper – If you’re someone who sleeps on the side, then find a soft mattress. With this kind of mattress, it will be able to support different parts of your body, specifically your hips, shoulders, spine, and sides. With the softness of the mattress, it will be easier for it to take the shape of your body.
- Stomach Sleeper – This position sounds uncomfortable, most notably to those who are on the heavier side. However, for those with snoring problems, then this is something that can get rid of the habit. If you’re this kind of sleeper, you need to be comfortable at all times. When it comes to mattresses, pick something that falls between something soft and firm. With the right balance, you can lie on your stomach with ease and no discomfort.
- Back Sleeper – If you ask people about their sleeping positions, not a lot of people would say they sleep on their backs. However, for those who happen to do so, choose a medium-firm mattress. It would be best if you went for this kind because it can give ample spine support. It also supports your lower back, shoulders, and hips.
- Combo Sleeper – If you happen to have multiple types of sleeping positions, then you need a mattress that works for all of them. Regardless of what position you are in, you should feel comfortable throughout the night. The mattress that you should set your eyes on should be something that falls between medium and firm. With this type, it will be able to support all the shapes your body makes while changing positions.
Test The Bed
Shopping for a new mattress means serious business. That is why before you commit to one, you should be able to try it out! Since you will be using your mattress for a long time, you want to make sure that you pick one that addresses all your needs.
If your old mattress did not give you the best kind of sleep, then you have to consider your options. If you have the chance to go to a store or shop where you can test their mattresses, then don’t hesitate to take advantage of the opportunity.
A mattress that has a great design and look might not necessarily be able to give you what you are looking for. If you want to be accurate, consider sleeping on the bed as a test. If you have found a mattress that catches your fancy, test out its firmness and comfort level by lying down on it for about 15 minutes. Get that shut-eye while sleeping in your usual position. It will also help if you try out various kinds so that you would know which one gives you the support and comfort that you are looking for!
Choose The Right Firmness
If you combine all these crucial points, then choosing the right mattress won’t be difficult for you. The most important thing is that, at the end of the day, you can sleep well and comfortably without compromising your body and your health. If you happen to find the best mattress for you with the right kind of firmness, then consider yourself lucky!
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- What Causes Student Stress And How To Avoid It In College - February 21, 2020
- Science Reveals Fascinating Insights About Who We Are And Where We Come From - February 20, 2020
- What To Look For In Quality Chiropractic Graduate Schools - February 20, 2020