Staying awake stressing then getting up early to hit the gym can actually cause you to gain weight. That’s why celebrities like Gwyneth Paltrow have turned to sleep experts to get a healthy sleep. The fact is rest is essential and knowing why can help motivate you to sleep better.
Sleep is necessary for metabolism and hormonal balance. Lack of sleep can cause stress, raising cortisol which causes weight gain by retaining fat stores. Lack of sleep can inhibit insulin response and depletes glucagon level, both responses cause fat retention. You both store fat, due to decreased insulin response and are inhibited in burning fat due to low glucagon.
Research backs up the theory that you need 7-9 hours of sleep every night. It can affect your memory and your mood. You can develop poor memory and become irritable, this causes stress that makes you gain weight by once again, raising cortisol levels.
With increasing busy lifestyles, it’s not always easy to get that good night’s sleep. If sleep is not something you can regularly get, there are ways of keeping your weight and metabolism healthy. Keep yourself healthy by cutting out sugar, meditate and exercise when you can, these techniques can help offset loss of sleep.
Is how long you lay down in bed causing the scale to go up? #HealthStatus
- 1Stress causes us to not lose weight because chemicals are secreted
- 2Cutting back on sugar can help sleep as does meditation.
- 3People need at least 7-9 hours of sleep, if not it can lead to irritability.
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- Study Affirms What Many Know: Antidepressants May Lead to Weight Gain - July 21, 2018
- A Typical Communication Pattern of People with Alzheimer’s Disease - July 20, 2018
- Learning to Relax - July 20, 2018