The main purpose of healthcare IT is for patients to have better health care and also to have health equity. This technology has revolutionized the healthcare industry. It has enabled medical practitioners to have access to patients’ medical data or information immediately. By combining the advancement in computers and science, the healthcare industry has become more efficient and effective. But what is healthcare IT exactly and why is it crucial in the advancement of this industry?
Understanding Healthcare IT
Healthcare IT is a term that has been used to describe the technology that the healthcare industry uses to record, analyze, and, most importantly, share health information and data of patients. This means that when you go to one doctor, everything will be recorded on a secure computer system. This includes test results, diagnosis, and prescription that was given. It could also include recommendations for further tests. Basically, almost everything that you and your doctor have discussed will be recorded there.
This also means that when you go to another doctor, they will be able to pull up your records and see your medical history. The patient could also have access to their records in order to learn and understand their condition better.
How Healthcare IT Is Changing The Industry
There have been notable benefits after the shift to healthcare information technology services such as Healthcare IT Support – Medicus IT. Below are the major advantages:
- Accessibility to accurate information. Patients sometimes make mistakes when they relay information from one health care provider to another. This mistake could lead to wrong diagnoses and prescriptions. However, with the help of healthcare IT, your other healthcare providers will be able to see your up-to-date medical data on the computer and can make accurate prognosis. This is especially helpful in times of crisis wherein the patient can’t explain their existing medical condition.
- Effective and better quality healthcare. If a patient is seeing different doctors such as a cardiologist, pulmonologist, and an endocrinologist, they would naturally be prescribing different drugs. However, one drug could be harmful to a patient if it interacts with another drug. So, what happens normally when there’s no healthcare IT is that a patient needs to go to all three doctors separately for the approval of each drug. Every time a prescription changes, the patient has to do this all over again.Now that there is healthcare IT, this going back and forth between doctors is no longer necessary. All three doctors can see what the others have prescribed and be able to give you a drug that could interact well with the other drugs. It is more efficient, and quality healthcare is being provided this way.
- Reduces healthcare costs. When you are consulting with different doctors, they sometimes ask you to take medical tests. Not only are some of these tests expensive, but they may also feel uncomfortable. Other tests may also be risky. When you have done these tests and your other doctor needs to see the results but they’re not available, they may recommend that you take the test immediately so they can make a proper prognosis.This is counterproductive and it costs more money. Healthcare IT has eliminated this issue through data sharing. If a test has been performed, the patient’s data will be updated in the system and can be accessed by other healthcare providers.
- Patient has access to their medical records. Some medical practitioners will allow their patients to have access to the patients’ medical records, especially when the patient needs to review and understand their condition better. It is but natural for patients to want to know more about their condition and understand the treatment being given to them. By using the healthcare IT system, patients don’t always have to call their doctor and ask questions that could be answered by logging in to the system.The patient will also be able to see if there is information that is incorrect or missing, allowing them to inform their healthcare provider so the system can be updated.
However, it is crucial that the company doing the maintenance of this type of system such as Medicus IT has the necessary skills to keep the system secure. Many hackers would gladly hack into systems like this in order to leak information or make money from it.
Healthcare IT has changed the health industry. Patients are being given better care through technology. Medical errors are lessened and relationships between patients and doctors are strengthened. Through information sharing, medical practitioners make faster diagnoses, and treatments are started without unnecessary delays. Medical practitioners can also monitor their patients remotely, and they don’t have to be physically present in the hospital or clinic.
Latest posts by HealthStatus Partners (see all)
- The Effects of Shaving and Plucking on Human Hair Regrowth - December 12, 2019
- Dentist Tips For Keeping Your Teeth Healthy - December 12, 2019
- 5 Health Benefits Of A Stand Up Paddleboard - December 11, 2019