Todd Coleman, an electronics inventor, is striving to make medical care less invasive and available no matter where the patient is through wearable technology. He hopes to allow people who would normally have to stay in a hospital bed on monitors, a chance to go home while still being monitored, creating less stress and cutting out the expenses of a hospital stay.
Using different research and medical groups, he brainstormed wearable technology in the form if jewelry or an adhesive to wear on a patient’s body. Using technology that creates computer chips, he developed a flexible patch, no thicker than a human hair that can be applied to the body. The patch can monitor temperature, movement and electrical patterns in a patient. The research team has been testing the patches on themselves and a few select patients. Testing on a pregnant woman showed accurate fetal heart rate patterns.
There were problems with the technology. Manufacturing was tedious and took a long time per device. Using suggestions from nurses, he created sensors that can be taped to the body or integrated into other medical sensors, making manufacturing more efficient. Data could be streamed but you have to be mindful of a patient’s available data plan for constant streaming. Using the cloud can help this problem and keep data secure. Lastly insurance companies have to be on board but will probably jump at the opportunity to cut expenses created by lengthy hospital stays.
- 1A health monitor embedded in an adhesive the size of scotch tape that sends data wirelessly to doctors.
- 2The data is interpreted by algorithms on the chip itself rather than in the cloud to prevent security threats.
- 3Local churches and trusted community leaders are being trained and integrated in the system to serve as health advocates and keep health costs down.
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- 11 Common Conditions That Can Be Treated By A Chiropractor - October 8, 2021
- 4 Signs Of Poor Gut Health And What You Can Do About It - September 16, 2021
- 4 Ways Magnesium Intake Impacts Your Body - September 13, 2021