The rise of renewable energy continues to accelerate, becoming more and more widespread around the world. But as solar panel and wind turbine installations continue to go up in more places, increasing numbers of residents are reporting the wind turbines are affecting their quality of life. These problems are higher with respondents who live closer to the wind turbines.
A wind turbine is a set of rotating blades that are driven by the wind; when the blades turn, it spins a generator that produces electricity. But the turbines create noise, and typically the blades of the turbines are very large so they’re extremely visible from even great distances. Particularly since the turbines are up on tall poles, both to give the blades ground clearance as well as to put them in better wind conditions.
Researchers looked at the quality of life of people who lived near wind turbine installations. And these inhabitants did report annoyance with the wind turbines cluttering up the landscape, as well as the mechanical noises the turbines make when they turn. However, one problem with the study was no baseline was established; so those respondents who complained about their quality of life might have already been dissatisfied. If this is the case, they’ve simply transferred their dissatisfaction over to the wind turbines as a visible cause that’s easy to point to.
Most who have reviewed the study think further research is warranted.
New research shows that while green energy is good, some people dislike living near wind turbines. #HealthStatus
- 1Noise from wind turbines negatively impacts quality of life.
- 2People who live closer to wind turbines self-reported lower ratings for a variety of physical health factors.
- 3Previous studies did not find a link between wind turbines and sleep, high blood pressure or stress.
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- 11 Common Conditions That Can Be Treated By A Chiropractor - October 8, 2021
- 4 Signs Of Poor Gut Health And What You Can Do About It - September 16, 2021
- 4 Ways Magnesium Intake Impacts Your Body - September 13, 2021