Hair loss or alopecia is more common in men than women. Hence, the problem of female hair loss cannot be ignored.
The concern is critical for women as their hair is associated with their beauty. Hair loss can cause not only various complexes in the fairer sex but also lead to an identity crisis. This is also because baldness in females has not been socially accepted as in men. Before we discuss the possible reasons for hair loss in females, there is a condition known as traction alopecia that happens in men and women alike due to stress – both physical and mental.
Reasons For Female Hair Loss
There are two categories of baldness in women – genetic and non-genetic.
Women don’t lose hair like men do. Their hairline does not recede. They usually start losing hair at the crown and the hair lightens with age on the top of the head and later on the front.
- Hormonal changes due to menopause can cause thinning of hair on the head and thickening of facial hair.
There are many non-genetic factors that cause hair loss in women. Some of them are listed as under:
- Pregnancy and complications in childbirth
- Deficiency of nutrients like iron, zinc, protein or essential fatty acids; or excess of vitamins like Vitamin A
- Infections like viral, fungal, or protozoan infection
- Trauma or extreme stress
- Chemicals in harsh shampoos and conditioners
- Diseases like thyroid or liver disease
- Side effect of cancer treatment or chemotherapy
Female hair loss can be caused by any of the above factors. But a proper diagnosis is required to know the right treatment. Therefore, you must not assume the reason for your hair loss; instead you must go for proper medical diagnosis which can be done in the following ways:
Diagnosis Of Hair Loss In Women
- Understanding family history
- An in-depth study of medical history of the patient
- Studying hair samples of women suffering from hair loss to determine hair damage or breakage
After having diagnosed the cause, let’s look at the possible treatment options.
Treatment For Female Hair Loss
Wigs are a good alternative for women suffering from hair loss. Unlike men’s wigs, women’s wigs come in all shapes and sizes and a variety of colors. They offer an immediate solution to the problem of hair loss.
Treatment- Genetic Hair Loss
Women with genetic factors as the cause of hair loss must limit their treatment established by their doctors. They also must not get lured by the different alternatives available in the market. Hair transplant surgery is a permanent solution and is hassle-free as well. So, if you are a looking for a way out of traction alopecia or genetic alopecia, you can safely go for a transplant. However, make sure that it is done on the advice of your doctor only.
Treatment- Non-Genetic Hair Loss
All those women out there, whose cause of hair loss in non-genetic, can celebrate. In most of these cases, hair loss is a reversible process. For example, a nutritional deficiency can be corrected by intake of the nutrient. However, no matter what the cause of your hair loss, never reach conclusions yourself. Always go to the doctor for advice.
Female hair loss, though a serious problem, can be taken care of, thanks to modern medicine and efficient practitioners, today.
Latest posts by HealthStatus Team (see all)
- Important Reasons Why You Need Relationship Goals - July 17, 2018
- A Critical Look at CBD Oil: The Effects and Benefits - March 28, 2018
- CBD Oil: Benefits, Uses & Side Effects - March 2, 2018