Summertime is all about feeling the sun on your face and getting some fresh air. But, many people stay inside and miss out on what nature has to offer. Here are some fun ways that you and the family can get out there and get healthy.
Even better than enjoying a summer day is enjoying it with someone else. As parents we try to send the kids outside but may not go out ourselves. The sun is for everyone and you can have even more fun outdoors.
Create a family activity day at least once a week. This is the time when all of the family spends time together sharing a fun activity outdoors. The name of the game is injecting some physical activity into your day.
Let everyone choose a fun activity that they like. Place them on a list. Each time you have an activity day, take one suggestion from the list. But, what activities can you do as a family that will be rewarding physically and mentally?
Here are some summer workouts that you can begin with.
* Bicycling – If everyone doesn”t know how to ride a bike, this is the perfect time to learn. Bike riding builds up the leg muscles and also your cardiovascular fitness. You can ride and talk about your day. Go to the park and have a leisurely ride.
* Basketball – All you need for this is a hoop and a ball. Have a family pick-up game after dinner or after work. You can divide into teams and play for points. Even better, play games to see who has to do the most chores that week.
* Hiking – Explore your outside world with your family. Even though you are having fun and exploring, you are burning tons of calories on a hike. And, you get to learn about nature. Combine it with a camping trip for a fun weekend getaway.
* Swimming – You don”t even have to have your own pool. If there is a neighborhood pool or one at the gym, use it. Doing laps is an easy way to gain muscle tone all over your body while you have fun. Take a water aerobics class as a family. There is no shock to your joints so it benefits both young and old alike. Parents can finally keep up with their kids.
* Backyard games – One of the often neglected parts of the house is the back yard. Act like a kid again. Play kickball, volleyball, soccer, flag football and many other games that will make you sweat and give you great memories to hold on to.
There are lots of activities that the family can do this summer to gain fitness and have some fun. Start with those above and add to the list.