Colitis basically refers to the inflammation of the colon. Colitis is a painful condition and if it is severe, it can be a debilitating illness. Colitis can be treated with the help of diet control and a careful nutrition plan.
What Is Colitis?
Colitis is the inflammation of the colon. The colon is commonly known as the large intestine, and it has the following parts: the ceacum, ascending colon, the transverse colon, the descending colon, the sigmoid colon, the rectum and the anus. There are many reasons why colitis can develop in a person, and the most common causes are poor circulation, infections and autoimmune conditions.
Types Of Colitis:
Some common types of colitis are:
- Infectious Colitis
- Ischemic Colitis
- Ulcerative colitis (inflammatory bowel disease)
- Crohn’s disease (inflammatory bowel disease)
- Microscopic Colitis
- Chemical Colitis
Symptoms Of Colitis:
In almost all types of colitis, ulcers can form in the walls of the large intestine causing pain and bleeding.
- Blood in the bowel, this may or may not be present
- Diarrhea and related hemorrhoids
- A constant urge to have a bowel movement called Tenesmus
- Abdominal pain, which is wave like, and subsides after a bowel movement
- Varying degrees and frequency of pain, from constant pain to occasional pain
- High fevers, chills, fatigue and other signs of infection may also be present in case of infective colitis
Diets For Colitis:
Carefully following a colitis diet recommended by a certified health professional will help you a great deal in reducing the symptoms of colitis. Diarrhea can also lead to dehydration, malnutrition and unwanted weight loss. Drinking a large amount of water is always beneficial if you suffer from colitis and try to add healthy fibers to your diet as well when your colitis is under control. Try to avoid lactose containing foods, limit caffeine, alcoholic beverages and foods that produce gas such as cabbages, beans and chick peas. Reduce fat intake and try to eat a nutritional supplement as well. Your dietician may recommend a pre-digested drink to you of your colitis is debilitating, this will help you regain strength and maintain your own health.
Latest posts by HealthStatus Team (see all)
- Important Reasons Why You Need Relationship Goals - July 17, 2018
- A Critical Look at CBD Oil: The Effects and Benefits - March 28, 2018
- CBD Oil: Benefits, Uses & Side Effects - March 2, 2018