Curcuma longa or Turmeric is a flowering plant that can help in more ways than one. The plant is native to the Indian subcontinent, and its roots are widely used to complement the culinary delights.
Why is it so highly relevant in the culture of Southeast Asia? Is it just because of its rich color, or there are more significant things about its potency than that meets the eye?
We take a little deeper look at the benefits of this flowering plant of the Zingiberaceae or ginger roots family.
Customs and Rituals
According to Indian customs and rituals, turmeric or haldi marks the beginning of something auspicious. The application of a paste of sandalwood, curd, turmeric, and gram flour onto the groom and bride’s skin on their wedding day is popular. But why is the ritual so significant?
- Turmeric signifies fertility, purity, and good health.
- Turmeric is immensely beneficial for the skin. The application of turmeric on the skin ensures that the groom and bride have glowing skin on the most important day of their lives.
- Turmeric application ensures that they look fresh during the occasion.
- The antioxidant in turmeric, curcumin can act as a mild anti-depressant while applied on the skin. The messaging of the turmeric onto the skin helps the body relax and takes their mind away from the anxiety of the big day. Both of them feel the calming effect of turmeric.
- Symbolically and literally, turmeric acts as a cleanser and helps purify the body. Hindu mythology also states that it helps cleanse the body and soul before a new beginning.
- It acts as a symbol of prosperity, peace, and a sign of blessings for the occasion.
Beauty and Skin Treatment
The cosmetic benefits and healing properties make the roots of turmeric especially important in beauty and skin treatment. Curcumin aids in most of the benefits that one can get from the application of turmeric on the skin.
This bio-active ingredient of turmeric can help:
- You to have naturally glowing skin. The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of curcumin aids in this task. Application of a mixture of honey, Greek yogurt, and turmeric paste on the face for up to fifteen minutes will get you these results. Post that, you can cleanse your face with water.
- You to get rid of your acne. Acnes are a common problem among most individuals that they face at some point in their life. The miraculous action of turmeric can help remove the scars of acne. The redness and blemishes and also the bacteria spread can stop by turmeric’s antiseptic properties. Application of the mixture with a spoonful of turmeric powder with fullers earth and curd on the face for twenty minutes will do the job. Once a week application will fetch you the best results.
- You can say goodbye to your dark circles with turmeric too. The mixture of curd, lemon juice, and two tablespoons of turmeric powder will help you achieve the same. You can apply the mixture for twenty minutes to the dark circles. Rinsing is advisable after twenty minutes of application.
- You can get rid of your post-pregnancy stretch marks or the ones you get after weight reduction with turmeric. Mixing and applying one tablespoon of coconut oil and half a teaspoon of turmeric powder on the marks for an hour can help reduce the marks significantly.
As mentioned earlier, turmeric has curcumin, which is a natural anti-inflammatory compound. For your sound health conditions, inflammation is a vital aspect. Its optimum levels in the body help repair the body tissues in the event of damage by external factors. It also helps fight any foreign intrusion into the body.
Although a higher level of inflammation can be harmful to the body’s tissues, a careful administration of such components to meet the acute, short-term inflammation can be beneficial. Experts suggest that short-term inflammation can be crucial for the body to fight various health conditions, that can include:
- Heart disease
- Various degenerative conditions
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Metabolic syndrome
Therefore any natural component that can help confront chronic inflammation is helpful in the prevention and treatment of these conditions.
Hence, turmeric can be an extremely beneficial aid for the maintenance of your supreme health conditions and take care of your skin ailments. Turmeric can help add back that natural glow to your skin with its antioxidant properties. The bio-active ingredient in turmeric, curcumin can maintain your health conditions with its anti-inflammation properties.