Holistic medicine is a branch of alternative medicine that involves treating the whole person, which includes their physical, emotional, mental, social and spiritual well-being. It refers not only to their body, but their mind and emotions as well. The practitioners attempt to avoid the use of medication and surgery.
Instead practitioners incorporate the use of minerals, vitamins, herbs, diet, medication, lifestyle changes and prayer as forms of treatment. Holistic health practices looks at all aspects of the person to treat their ailments.
Physicians often view holistic medical practices as unconventional and the practice is frowned upon by most that practice traditional Western Medicine. Even so many people will seek this form of treatment and it is widely popular. Some people who believe in holistic medicine believe in the “natural approach” or some simply seek this form of treatment out as a last resort when they feel that their medical treatment by a conventional means of action has failed them in some way.
There are five main types of alternative medicine practices:
- Alternative Medical Systems: Examples are Acupuncture, Ayurveda, traditional Chinese medicine, naturopathic medicine, and homeopathy.
- Body and Mind Techniques: These techniques are thought to affect any symptoms that you might have and/or bodily functioning. These can include music therapy, hypnotherapy, biofeedback, and/or yoga.
- Biologically based therapy: This therapy can include the use of herbs, vitamins, and diet.
- Manipulative body methods: This therapy includes massage therapy, reflexology, acupressure, and chiropractics.
- Energy therapy: There are two types of this therapy, which include bioelectromagnetic and biofield therapy.
Seeking out the holistic medicine approach is an individual decision that must be thought out carefully. One has to weigh the odds as to whether this approach can best help their condition.
There are pros and cons concerning this approach. Although some people have clearly been helped with the use of holistic medicine there have been instances of harm when this approach has been followed incorrectly. If you or someone you know is deciding to follow the route of holistic medicine the best thing that you can do for yourself is research all aspects and confer with the practice that you are intending to deal with.
Individuals should as the practitioners many questions regarding the condition and how they can best help their situation. Advice from the primary care practitioner should also be sought to get their thoughts and insights into the particular form of holistic medicine proposed and how it will interact with the current traditional medicine being used.
The HealthStatus editorial team has continued that commitment to excellence by providing our visitors with easy to understand high quality health content for many years.
Our team of health professionals, and researchers use peer reviewed studies as source elements in our articles.
Our high quality content has been featured in a number of leading websites, USA Today, the Chicago Tribune, Live Strong, GQ, and many more.
Latest posts by HealthStatus Team (see all)
- Changing Your Social Group Can Improve Your Health - April 6, 2020
- Numbers Can Ease Fear – COVID 19 By The Numbers - April 2, 2020
- IED:What Is It?Do You Have It? - March 30, 2020