In 1990’s a major Alzheimer’s gene was discovered called ApoE4. The ApoE4 gene is linked to Alzheimer’s risk. The ApoE gene is the principal cholesterol carrier in the brain.
15% of the US population has one ApoE4 gene which triples your risk for Alzheimer’s.
1 out of every 50 has the ApoE4 gene from both parents which increases your risk even more.
Nigerian ancestry has the highest frequency of the ApoE4 gene, which isn’t good news. But what is good news is that Nigerians have some of the lowest Alzheimer’s rates in the world. How do we explain this? Nigerians for the most part have a very low cholesterol diet. They mainly eat grains and vegetables.
Could this diet be more powerful than the ApoE4 gene? They ApoE4 gene in some cases doubles your chances of Alzheimer’s but high cholesterol may triple the threat. Treatable factors like elevated total cholesterol and high blood pressure can increase your risk. So don’t give up just because your genetic makeup isn’t the greatest. Work on the things you can change, your cholesterol and blood pressure.
Dietary restrictions can overcome genetic markers that would otherwise cause Alzheimer’s Disease. #HealthStatus
- 1The highest frequency of ApoE4 in the world is in Nigeria, but Nigerians also have some of the lowest Alzheimer’s rates.
- 2A low cholesterol diet can make a difference in lowering your risk for Alzheimer’s.
- 3We cannot change our genetic makeup, but we can reduce or prevent high cholesterol.
See the original at: https://nutritionfacts.org/2018/06/26/diet-can-trump-the-alzheimers-gene-apoe/
Do you need help in the area of Dementia Care? Check out this available resource: Fit Minds Family Caregiver Program
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- 11 Common Conditions That Can Be Treated By A Chiropractor - October 8, 2021
- 4 Signs Of Poor Gut Health And What You Can Do About It - September 16, 2021
- 4 Ways Magnesium Intake Impacts Your Body - September 13, 2021